Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Monday, May 07, 2007

CrossFit & Cycling workout

Oh wow. I am going to be sore. But I feel pretty good right now. I haven't really done any cardio type workouts in over a week, but today I finally got on the stationary bike at the gym and cover 21.6 miles in 1 hour, at a working heart rate between 155-160, on the hill program. I also did a CrossFit workout today sandwiched in between the first half hour of cycling and the last half hour. It was this:

Complete as many rounds possible in 20 minutes of:
Barbell Thrusters, 15 reps (I used a 30lb. barbell).
Jumping Pull-Ups, 21 reps (I did these very carefully without undue pressure on the toe).
I completed 7-1/2 rounds (fell short on the last set of pull-ups).
Totals were 8 x 15 thrusters = 120; 7 x 21 pull-ups = 147.

After completing the ENTIRE workout with the cycling, I felt like I ran an 8-10 mile tempo run. It nearly wiped me out. I followed it up with half a Turkey and Avocado sandwich from Togo's and their Farmer's Market Salad. Yum!

Feels good to be working out again, even if it's not running. But that'll come soon enough.

7 comments:

Ms Eva said...

Great workout! I'm impressed. I know you must be feeling much better now that you got a cardio workout done. Did you actually 'break' your toe or was it severly sprained?

In regards to crossfit...
1) How do you decide what workout to do each day? Do you have a list of those you can do with your equipment (either at home or at the gym) and then rotate through OR do you go with what is posted on the website OR ???

2) You mentioned before that you do CF on easy/non-running days. On your hard running days (I assume the long, speed & tempo runs), do you still do the CF warmup?

I'm just getting back into CF (stopped the 2 weeks before my half - didn't want to be sore) and want to be more consistent. The article in RW about Cece St.Geme said she does an ab workout EVERY day. I'm trying to put together my next training plan...gathering ideas/strategies.

Smiles :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lillie!

I'm glad you're feeling better and I bet the little respite from running will actually be a good break for your body.

Togos must be a CA thing -- I used to eat there a lot in college and had forgotten all about it. What about Its Its (is that the name?) I was craving one the other night (ice cream sandwiches). Do they still have those in CA? Okay, I'm getting hungry!

Jaxy

vanessa40 said...

Great workout..
Hope you have a wonderful day :)

jen said...

Great workout! I keep hearing about Crossfit but I honestly don't really know what it is. I should look into it since it sounds intense. :)

Anonymous: YES they have Its It here still!! :D

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great workout!! Nothing like a good ole sweat :)

Have a great week!

G

GB said...

Hi Gladys, thanks for stopping by! I need to visit your site and see how everything is going with you. I hope very well.

Hi Jen, CrossFit was developed in Santa Cruz (I believe) and it's an all encompassing cross training program targeting the core muscle groups. I love it because it is different everyday, and they encourage participation in as many different types of sports as possible. It has helped my running significantly, and I swam today and felt a whole lot stronger in the pool.

Thanks Vanessa. How's the new house???

Jaxy, I love Togo's. Is there anything similar where you live? And It's It ice cream sandwiches are "the bomb." I haven't had one in months, but I can practically taste it right now as I type about it. Yum. They're still here in California, like Jen said. :-)

Hi Makita, on my hard running days (before I was sidelined of course) I did NOT do the CF warm up as part of the running workout. I sometimes did it later in the day as a supplement to the run, but not as part of the run. Mostly to get ab, upper body and back strengthening in for the day if I wasn't too tired.
I usually choose the CF workouts that are as all inclusive as possible, like the thrusters combined with pull ups for example. It worked my glutes and upper thighs, as well as my entire upper body. I don't do the CF "total" workouts where you are only doing 1-3 reps of each exercise to see how heavy you can lift.
Remember I only do CF 2, maybe 3 days a week and it's always the multiple exercise-high rep stuff. I pick from whatever they have on the website that week, or I'll look back at my blog and find one I liked and repeat it. I sometimes look at the other CF websites, like CrossFit One World or CrossFit Santa Cruz for different workout combos. I love it and will never go back to traditional weight training. I hope this helped you. :-)

Ms Eva said...

Most definately! That is kinda what I envisioned... so thank you! I actually printed off all the 'Benchmark Girls' & the 'Heroes' WODs. I then wrote out each on a 3x5 card so that I can flip through them. I can then easily pack the cards when traveling... Those for which I do not have the equipment or aren't a 'total' workout I didn't put on the cards. Thanks again! :)