Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Thursday, May 03, 2007

What I Miss About Running

When you're "forced" not to run instead of choosing not to, you kind of miss it and can get a little down about not doing it.

I'm posting this as a pseudo therapy session so thanks in advance for letting me...

WHAT I MISS ABOUT RUNNING, in no particular order:

The first 60 seconds when my body still feels tight and stiff and I take my first deep breath of outside air as I jog easy to warm up.

A few minutes later when I find my rhythm, my body feels warm and I've found my breath.

Looking over toward the sunrise, feeling the cold morning air and knowing I'm starting my day with such a precious gift.

Or looking up during a mid morning run and seeing a few scattered clouds throughout the bright blue sky, and feeling the sun's warmth on my back.

Picking up the pace to whatever the workout prescribes for the day, feeling my breathing getting more rapid and heavy, feeling my muscles working hard, talking myself through the difficult aspects of running and then feeling, "Yea, there's my groove. Just hold on to it."

Then slowing back down and letting my body recuperate from the hard work it just completed and thanking God for the ability to push my body to its limits. I get so excited about pushing the envelope sometimes!

The sweat that pours off my body (gross), guzzling water or sports drink every 2 miles and enjoying the few seconds of walking that I get to do while I drink, feeling the dirt under my feet, or hearing my feet hit the road, feeling the wind rush past me, hearing the wind in my ears, waving thank you to cars that allow me to pass in front of them, smiling at friends and neighbors I recognize on my run.

Catching my breath when the entire run is completely over, thinking "wow, that hurt" and walking through the door to hear my sweetheart husband say, "Hi! How was your run?" And then rambling about how fast or slow or painful or great or all of the above that it was. And seeing him smile at me like I'm crazy for killin' myself out there.

Sharing my daily workouts with you great people and knowing you understand every little piece of the puzzle.

I know I'm missing something and I'll think of it later. But I just miss running. I miss it. But I know it'll be back soon.

10 comments:

Nuke Runner said...

I hope your toe is healing well and you can get back on the roads soon.

SoberMommie said...

I felt you with every word. I go through the same emotions and thoughts when I run and yes..I go through the same withdraws when I don't or can't run. Hang in there. It's times like these that we really see "Why we run!"
Have a great weekend!

Ms Eva said...

I completely agree - having a broken wrist & doctors orders to not run nearly killed me. Hugs! :)

Unknown said...

Keep your chin up, and your toe iced, you'll be back on that road before the pool season offically get under way :)

I'll keep you in my prayers

God Bless

G

jen said...

Great post, I agree with all of that. :) A little break from running always makes us remember how much we love it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of all the things I *should* miss about running. I'll lace up the shoes one of these days...

Carolyn said...

So great!

I am looking forward to discovering many more reasons why I love running.

:)

vanessa40 said...

I always love to read your journal..it makes me feel good...thanks...hope your toe is better soon...take care

DawnB said...

You'll be back before you know hang in there just a little longer!!!

Mir said...

Lovely post--it's good to be reminded of those things we all take for granted sometimes. I know you'll be back on the road in no time!