I've been asked several times in the last couple of years about my running history so I thought I'd do a quick post to address that. Carolyn, this is for you!
I ran track and field my sophomore year in high school and did not enjoy it because I was not fast and finished last quite a bit. At the beginning of my junior year, a friend from track talked me into running Cross Country so I could get in shape for track. Well, I LOVED IT! The coach was so awesome and motivating. He was one of those coaches that you just wanted to do your best for. He didn't talk down to anyone, he supported even the slowest person on the team (sometimes me) and he was always there for us.
Our senior year we were so "together" as a team that we won our league championship meet, we won our section meet and we ran in the State meet, placing 7th! I went to college and stopped running but continued w/ fitness routines by teaching aerobics. However the partying and late night eating negated all the aerobics classes and I eventually weighed in near 150 (I'm under 5'5, so I looked a little on the thick side with that weight).
After college, I curbed the drinking and late night food binging and continued to teach aerobics. I lost the weight I had gained. When I started my new career in 2000, I got the running bug again. I began running road races for fun with some coworkers in 2002 and the rest is history. I've been hooked on running ever since. I trained for my first marathon in '03 after having gone through a very depressing and horrible divorce. When I finished that marathon, I bawled my head off at the finish line. I felt triumphant, like I could do anything! My life has been so enriched by running and I've not been depressed like that since.
God willing, I will continue to run and race because it's fun, challenging and rewarding. It's something I do JUST FOR ME! :-)
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


7 comments:
What an inspiring story, GB. Isn't it amazing how a certain person can make such a difference in your life just by taking the time to care and encourage??? Hope you're having a good week.
Thanks for sharing, I have always wondered if you ran in high school.
Running is best when we finally make the decison that I am doing this for me, and no one else.
You just keep on inspiring us!!!
God Bless
G
I remember all of it. You've come a long way Sister!
Your reasons for running are the reasons you stick with it. Kudos to you. And, of course, thank you for sharing your story and continuing to motivate us. : )
Thanks foe sharing your story..you are my motivation for the day :)
Vanessa, Makita, Maxe, Gladys and Jojit, thank you so much. You all inspire and motivate me. :-)
Just wanted to introduce myself to you too....I found your blog on RW and have been enjoying reading it. I ran my first marathon (Boston with a charity) and now I am training for Hartford in Oct. with the hope of a BQ. Anyway, it's nice to "meet" you and thanks for your motivational blog!
Post a Comment