Hey all. I haven't actually done any physical exercise since Sunday morning. I ran today after a 4 day hiatus. I've been tired, blue, burned out, bummed, just not motivated to run in the least. I forced myself out there today and managed 6.4 miles at an avg. pace of 9:35 and I felt bummed out the entire time. It felt like such a chore. Like I was only out there because I HAD to do it, not because I really wanted to or that it would bring me joy. I guilted myself into it.
It was the first time since the CIM of 2003 where I wanted to just stop, lay down on the course I was running and just fricken sleep. Just sleep. The Geetah on runner's world has this method of checking himself while out on a hard run or during a difficult race, "ATFQ" meaning answer the fu*&ing question: "If you could be anywhere on earth right now, where would you want to be?" I asked myself that today on the run and for the FIRST time ever, I said, "NOT F_ING HERE." I wanted to be home. But I said, "Just get at least 6 miles in and then that's it for the day." So I jogged and sometimes walked. It sucked but I did it.
I think I need to reevaluate my running goals. I think I need to figure out if training for marathons is worth it anymore. Why am I doing it? I had told myself long ago that once I ran Boston, I'd forego marathons for shorter races and just enjoy running again. And here I am training for the CIM. It's absurd. Why am I pushing myself to do something that's not in my heart right now??? Why? Why? UGH.
Okay, thanks for reading yet another rant. Time to go. God bless ya'll!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


14 comments:
Hang in there GB... Go get a bottle of wine and watch a movie with hubby. Take a couple of weeks off and reassess. Everyone gets burnt and you are no different.. Good Luck...
GB,
I've been where you are at and had a real hard time motivating myself to train the past winter. I have to motivate myself by running for a cause.
I'm considering doing the CIM this year. I'm doing the Portland on 10/7 and the Marshall on 11/4 in my attempt to do one a month to help fight heart disease.
For December, I'm considering the CIM or the Las Vegas on 12/2. I see you have run the CIM before. How do you rate the marathon? Any advise you can give me in making my decision is appreciated.
Keep pressing toward the finish line!
gaj
What you are feeling is very normal. It happens to me a lot. Working, family, house stuff, it all get's too much sometimes, and I just don't feel like running. Sometimes it helps me to swim, or hike, but usually running with a good friend helps the most. I hope this feeling passes for you and you find some encouragement to get out there and run! Hang in there, this too shall pass.
GB, want to echo Deck Ape's comment. Take the time that you need and come back refreshed.
Gettin Older
You're going through a rough patch of sorting things out with running and it seldom makes sense.
Hope you find some answers and contentment soon.
You will find that strength and motivation as you normally do, perhaps it may take a few days but you've been here before and you've always managed to see your way through. Remember, you are not alone.
I'm struck by your tag line, Running is a Good Thing, try it, you'll like it. Can you remember what type of running you love or what it was that made you love it? Maybe going back to that will help? Is the structure or the cross training becoming too much? Do you need a new running pal or someone to mentor? Just some thoughts.... A little rest will probably help too.
YOU ARE A STAR and an INSPIRATION. I know you will find your way. I will say a quick prayer for you to do just that. Hang in there.
Nanc
GB, I just noticed the location in your signature at RW (9-3-07). I got a giggle. Just don't spend TOO much time there. :).
Gettin Older
BTW, if you decide that you need someone to mentor (pick me), I can probably (pick me) think of a name or two (pick me) !! :)
Thanks everyone for being so sweet and supportive through my whining. I really appreciate it. I'll be back to training soon. For now, I'm just going to run w/out any watches, go easy and enjoy the scenery. And go back to talking to God again while I run. It has been too long. Run on, friends and see you soon!
I think it's very important to get back to the real reason running is special to you. Go without watches, time-tracking or any of that. You'll get your mojo back, I just know it.
GB so sorry you are feeling so blue I have no doubts that this will pass. Step back a little but not too much take a deep breath, close your eyes and count all the wonderful reasons you do this and then thank God for the blessing he gave you.
seems like some great advice already has been given. this happens to me and cycling too. normally at the end of august when most of my major goals have been met. a little burnout of sorts. i take time off and recharge myself. you will find you way. later.
hey there...it's been a while since i've stopped by. i hope things start picking up again for you.
maybe you do need a little rest. sometimes it never hurts to listen to the little voice and then come back at it fresh in a few days...
whatever you decide to do, i wish you only the best.
k
Post a Comment