Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Monday, August 27, 2007

Work Stories

There's nothing like work and 2 hours sleep to put things into perspective. I worked swing shift patrol yesterday and it was so busy and I loved it. But there was a call that really bothered me afterward.

To make a long story short a little, preschool-aged girl got bit in the face by the family dog. The good news (if there is any out of this) is that the dog is just a little ankle biter and did not maul her vital areas. The bad news is the ankle biter left a 2" in diameter hole in the girls cheek, and some flesh hanging off of her little face. The really sad part though was the state of her home. Dog feces and urine were on the floor where she and her infant sister played with garbage (no toys around). She also has an older sister and all three of them were inhaling second hand smoke from their grandparents and dad. Mattresses were strewn all over the floor along with food wrappings, half eaten food, dirty laundry, cups filled with who knows what. The word that describes it best is filth. The adults in the house didn't seem to be too concerned about anything. The dog owner (the girl's grandmother) was more sad about watching her dog go with animal control services than watching her granddaughter being taking away by ambulance. It just IRKED me, and I'm being polite when I use that word. And the worst part is there was no CRIME committed. I could only write an information only report of the dog biting incident.

Through it all, the children there still managed to smile at us. Seeing their little smiles offered a glimmer of hope. When I left to go see the girl that was bitten at the hospital, I reminded the dad and grandparents that they were ALL these children had and that in their eyes they were God. They were/are the children's heroes. I told them that they need to never forget that and to try to set an example for them. I'm hoping it did not go in one ear and out the other, but most likely it did.

Anyway, the girl is fine and the dog is in quarantine for a while. If the owner can't afford the fees to get the dog after quarantine is over, it's going to be put down because animal control will never try to get a dog like that adopted. Thank goodness.

All of this made me think about how good my family and I have it. We have nothing to complain about or long for. We have a loving and caring home with all our basic needs met. We have only to be thankful!!!

Thanks for reading my "rant." I hope it offers some insight to others.

9 comments:

Deck Ape said...

My God GB, I hate to hear that kind of story.. I hope she is alright. The description you gave of her home is pretty bad also. I made me think of my kids....

Anonymous said...

Wow...Your training...your stories...and your perspective on life...

This story is awful, but you have a gift for pointing out life's blessings we're surrounded with.

Thanks for your insights.h

Ms Eva said...

How awful! I hate to hear stories like that - I can't imagine how it would feel to see it first hand. My heart goes out to children in those situations.

Anonymous said...

You left the adults with good words of advice. It's sad to see such abuse as this that runs rampant today. It's good to know that there are people like you with a heart after God's that are out there ministering at the point of need and making a difference in our day.

Thanks for what you are doing.

Know that you are loved,
gaj

209Mike said...

You're right GB. You definitely need to step back and realize how blessed we all are. Please keep up the good writing.

F. Lee said...

Hey GB,
I appreciate you sharing this. It's amazing how important the simple things are that I forget about. Love, shelter, safety, the list can go on and they are ALL blessings. Thanks again for the window.

Love you sis, Lee

DawnB said...

so sand to hear about those children!!1

Danny B said...

GB,
It took me a couple of days to respond to this post. I just dont understand how people can do this to their children. It makes me so angry and sad and helpless. I am glad there are people out there like you trying to make a difference. Being a cop is a difficult job especially in times like that. When you guys are out for your run say a prayer for the little girl and other children who have no control over their parents.

jen said...

Wow, what a heartbreaking story. It is amazing how kids are so good and sweet despite their home lives. Thanks for giving the parents some words, I hope they take it to heart. Your job's got to be diffucult sometimes. Thanks for what you do though! :)