Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

6 x 1200s

I was excited and nervous to do Ryan Hall's workout today. 6 x 1200 meters w/ a quarter of the distance as recovery in between. I walked those 300 meter recoveries, by the way. McMillan says my prescribed pace for 1200s based on my last 10K race is 4:54-5:09.

After a 2 mile warm up to the track which included just a couple of 100 meter strides, the 1200s shook out like this:
4:57, 4:58, 5:04, 5:01, 5:12 (yikes), 5:02.

The 5th one was so slow. I was feeling fatigued and experimented w/ a new mantra, "Feet off the ground." Um yea, actually saying that over and over made my feet feel like lead, thus the slow down! After that I went back to saying, "Dig," and "Please God."
Cooled down with a 2 mile jog home.

Overall my 1200 paces were in between my mile and 5K race paces. I personally would have liked to run them in less than 5 minutes each, but that didn't pan out today. Overall I'm still pleased. It was just 2 days ago that I did that 14 miler w/ the marathon goal pace, 800s and Tempo pace miles. So I'll use that as an excuse. Three more days until my first 10K of the fall racing season. :)

Kids will be home in a few and time for homework.


Picture at left is Ryan Hall setting the new American record for the mens's Half Marathon in 2007.

9 comments:

F. Lee said...

Nice running sis! I've been running with Kendra as she readies for the 1/2 marathon in SF in a few weeks. She powers out 12 this week and next week and starts to taper for the race. She is doing awesome and am so proud of her. She has come a long way...the first time she went running she was complaining about 1 mile...too funny. Can't wait to see you all. I'll have to send pics of the backyard! I need to update my blog, been such a slag about it, but too busy.

Nancy said...

Great workout!! My mantra is usually something like "just keep going," or "you can do it" but usually I am just trying to finish not be fast :) Some day...

Nuke Runner said...

Those 1200s look pretty good to me! Good luck with your 10K Saturday.

Arron said...

you and ryan are FAAAAAAAAST!!!

jen said...

Great job! You're super speedy. :)

Good luck and have fun this weekend!

Ms Eva said...

You are so incredibly fast - I looked back at some of your early posts and am just so amazed at how far you've come. I've said it before, but you ARE such an inspiration to me. :)

Are you still doing CF? I haven't seen you mention it lately. Just curious. I keep meaning to add core work into my training but haven't yet committed to it.

Mir said...

NICE 1200s! I wouldn't worry too much about that 5:12. I always say, if the last one is on pace, then you're in good shape.

DawnB said...

your are such an inspiration!! Nice job

GB said...

Hey all! Thanks again. :)

Makita, I'm only doing the simplest crossfit exercises now that I'm marathon training. A couple of times per week I'll do the prescribed CF warm up, and a couple more times a week I'll add more sessions of push ups, sit ups and back extensions.