Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

REMEMBER 9/11

I will never forget.
I had gotten home from work just a few hours before it happened. My brother (a fireman) called my house and woke me up. Asked if I had heard about the planes. I was groggy and said "yea I'll call you later." Then I couldn't get back to sleep.

I got out of bed and turned on the TV as I made coffee. As soon as I saw what was going on, I wept. I watched and cried some more, then I got ready and drove in to work early. I worked the swing shift at the time. The city where I work has an international airport and it was a strange silence to not hear the planes overhead.

Residents throughout the city sat outside their homes or on major street corners holding candles and American Flags. The calls for service that night were slim to none. However there were many possible "hate" crimes in the days to follow including assaults & arson.

My heart is still saddened when I think about that time. Just a few weeks later, my friend and coworker was shot and killed while he made a car stop.

So every year around 9/11, I not only honor the people who lost their lives in that tragedy, but I also mourn the loss of my friend.

REMEMBER. Let your loved ones know how much they mean to you. Honor those that have gone home before you.

3 comments:

John Fenton said...

I will never forget either. At that time, I was a financial planner, and I had a meeting at a client's home later that morning. So I was at home eating breakfast and watching TV when the first plane struck. I'm not sure if I left the couch the rest of the day. It was surreal.

Ms Eva said...

Let us hope that collectively we never forget. I was teaching 5th grade at the time - we didn't have a TV in our classroom but the librarian had one one in the libary and we kept our PC on for live feed updates. The students didn't have many questions that day - we tried to stay focused on other things. But in the days that followed we started folding paper cranes and sent a box full to an elementary school across the harbor from the Trade Center. They had witnessed the attack from their school room.

DawnB said...

I don't think anyone will ever forget the very moment when they realized what was going on.

Life is so precious!!