Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Speed Day

I needed a change of pace today after taking a rest day yesterday. This morning I met some of the MOMS Club moms again for a little walking and exercise at the track. It was so great to do that stuff with them. Sure beats doing it alone. After they left I jogged around a little to warm up more, and went right into my speed work.

I've decided to do a mix of Ryan Hall's Half Marathon training schedule as well as Runner's World Your Ultimate Marathon Training Program - Advanced. Today I ran Ryan's speed workout of 2 miles at Half marathon goal pace, 3 minute recovery after, 2 x 1 mile intervals at 10K race pace, 2 minutes recovery after, then 2 x 800s at 5K race pace with 2 minute recoveries after. It felt awesome! I ran the mile intervals and the 800s a little too fast (on the track), but overall I was pretty close to my recommended times. I ran the 2 mile portion on the road at an avg. pace of 7:10 (my half marathon goal pace is 7:15-7:20). After the workout I jogged a mile for cool down as my husband and the baby walked around the track.

Now time to gear up for a busy day with the kids. :)

Total Miles: 7

6 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

geesh sweet 7:10 pace GB !!

jen said...

Great job! That workout sounds kinda fun- I love to mix it up. You're a speedster! :)

Nancy said...

It cracks me up that the MOM's club exercise was just your warmup, then you went into your work out. You ROCK!!

Geesh, I don't even have race paces yet. I just hope I finish. Hee hee. Might run a 10 mile race in a week (this would be my first race longer than a 5K!!).

Great job!!

Unknown said...

A MOMS club!! How cool to be able to get together with other girls to get you warmed up for your work out :)

Have A Great Week-end!

G

SoberMommie said...

Hey GB~
Stopping in to wish you a Happy Friday!!
Great job on your speedy runs!

Mir said...

That sounds like a fantastic workout: lots of variety and not too hard to remember. I'll have to try it sometime. Nice job on your pace!