Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Newton Hills" Workout

Yesterday I ran 10 miles on the treadmill. I did the Newton Hills workout and it felt GREAT. But doing so after running 21 miles the day before has left me feeling beat up! (In a good way).

Basicallly miles 3-8 simulate the grades of the Newton Hills on the Boston Marathon course. The paces at which I ran the inclines are equivalent to my tempo pace on a flat course (which is roughly 7:10-7:15/mile).

The 1% inclines simulate "downhill" or flat and I ran those at marathon goal pace.

MILES - INCLINE - PACE
First 3 -- 0% -- 9:00/mile (warm up)
3.0-3.7 -- 3% -- 7:41/mile
3.7-4.7 -- 1% -- 7:35/mile
4.7-5.0 -- 6% -- 8:35/mile
5.0-6.4 -- 1% -- 7:35/mile
6.4-6.8 -- 4% -- 8:00/mile
6.8-7.4 -- 1% -- 7:35/mile
7.4-7.8 -- 6% -- 8:35/mile
7.8-9.0 -- 1% -- 7:30/mile
9.0-10. -- 0% -- 9:14/mile (cool down)

I did this run after doing CrossFit with a fellow MOMS Club member. My booty is sore today so I'm taking a rest day.

Back at it tomorrow. :)

9 comments:

Marathon Maritza said...

I have totally lost track if I have thanked everyone who left comments on my blog regarding NYC, so sorry if this is a repeat thank you!!! :)

And woooooooow, you are fast!

Nancy said...

Holy crap, woman. You are amazing. You did that after a long run and after a crossfit? ZOWIE.

DawnB said...

You work so hard and of course it will payoff in a few weeks amazing!!!

Ron said...

That one looks great!
I'll try it at my paces. Anything to break up the tread monotony.
It always seems easier outside.

Perry H. said...

Glad to see you ARE human and rest too!!! lol

Anonymous said...

I tagged you!

Check it out at http://www.gajohnson.org/gregjohnson/2007/11/ive-been-tagged.html.

gaj

pika said...

Hey Lillie - if you make it to Boston (other than for the marathon), I'll take you on the REAL hills in Newton that make Heartbreak look like a training course. ;)

Seriously - keep up the good work and hopefully next Boston you and your family will be up for the Heartbreak Hill fun mile.

keith said...

dayyyummmn, man.

you are an animal.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...6% incline followed by 1% simulates downhill. that's very interesting...I am just trying to find a way to do down hill training without running outside in the cold... I will give it a try next week...