Happy Thanksgiving! I am waiting for the baby to wake from his nap and then we will join the family festivities at my hubby's cousin's house.
Well, ran the Turkey Trot 5K today. The weather was perfect, sunny and in the low 40's. I warmed up with a 2 mile jog which included about 6 x 100 meter strides. After my warm up I watched our 2 older kiddos (8 & 10) run the 1/2 mile fun run. In fact I did a little of my warm up jogging along side of them and cheering them on. They smiled the whole time. I was so proud of them for doing it because originally they did not want to.
About 5 minutes after the last child crossed the finish line for the fun run, the 5K started. My toes were at the white line and I had heard there were 1200 registered runners this year (it sure felt like it). Gun went off and I started my Garmin (but did not look at it after the first mile split).
I was so afraid of tripping or twisting my ankle and getting trampled by the throngs of runners. The first 1/4 mile or so was on grass and dirt and it wasn't the most level ground in the world. Lotta potholes and things. People around me were saying things like, "This is downright scary," because of the crowd and the terrain.
But we then got onto the paved path and it was smooth sailing. I felt like I was racing people. There were a few runners that I would trade little surges with and we pushed each other along nicely. I passed a lot of people, including a women in my age group that I thought would beat me for sure. It felt great to zoom by her near mile 2. Only a few high school boys passed me along the way.
There was some wind during mile 2 and you'll see how it affected my split when I list them below. The last 1/2 - 3/4 mile was on the dirt and grass again, and I was feeling CHALLENGED. I kept my eyes on the ground to avoid getting hurt. My legs were feeling so strong, but my forearms were seizing up like they were overcome with lactic acid. My forearms! What's up with that?
By mile 3, the guy that I was trading surges with from the 2 mile point got his 2nd wind and took off. I hung onto his tail as much as I could and finished a couple seconds behind him. We thanked each other at the end. I crossed the line and literally let out a big, "Woooooo hooooooo! Yeah!" I had done it, I broke 21:00 for the first time in my life, and my official finish time was 20:24. A full minute off my last 5K run in August on the same course.
I thanked God!!! My husband and children were there to meet me and I was so happy. My running partners, Kim and Cheryl placed 2nd and 3rd female respectively with 19 minutes some odd seconds finish times. Cheryl won her age group (I knew she would). I think I was 4th female, but not sure. I did place 2nd in my age group though...behind Kim. :)
My splits were: 6:30, 6:37 (wind), 6:30 and :45 for the last .1. I feel SOOOO ready for the CIM. Thanks be to God!!!
UPDATE: 5th woman across the line, 70th runner overall out of 912.


11 comments:
Congrats! GB. Great run and a great way to start off the thanksgiving day. It's grea that your children are running. They have a great example to follow!
gaj
You are positively the highest charged lady I've ever known. Congratulations on a superior outing GB. I truly expect to see 19's coming from you in the near future.
Great new PR GB!
Tempo miles to end a 14 miler - you are tough! What plan is that?
WOW GB ... you are sooooo Ready for CIM.
Congrats on 5th women !! SOOOO Sweet!! Just send me a little speed please :-)
Happy Turkey Day!! You are just so motivating! I just love reading about everything you do. What a great example to your children. Oh, and you are running so fast! Keep up the good work.
Happy thanksgiving to you and yours and a big congratulations on a new 5k PR!! I know you'll cherish those moments, its wonderful to have someone waiting for you and cheering you at the finish line.
GB I just left this comment on Jen's blog...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
so are you and GB going to MEET prior to the race???...I hope u do, two fast chicas meeting finally :-)
I want to see a pic of you two with ur finishing medals!! Remember who told you about each other, YES that was me during ur Boston Marathon Last Year:-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope u guys finally meet in person!
Hope u had a good turkey day weekend!
Wow GB, not only did you beat 21, you SMASHED it. What an awesome race! Soon you will break 20 I'm sure. And this all in prep for a marathon!
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family. :)
Great job on the 5k!! Congrats on the PR and the 5th place overall woman. :O wow!! :)
Hey SL,
It was nice to meet you at the Turkey Trot. Congrats on a great time. I was trying to beat 21 also and missed by 7 seconds!! I'll see you in Boston, if not sooner.
Leslie
5150runner
what a great holiday. turkey and a trot. doesnt get any better. :)
Post a Comment