Oh I could just scream, but at the same time I feel at peace with whatever it is that's going on with my body.
I set out on my 12 mile run yesterday and had a little soreness in the outer right hip. No big deal, I thought it would clear up as my body warmed up. Well it got worse and started to hurt and then I could feel my pace slow. The pain stuck with me for the rest of the 12 miles, even after taking 3 ibuprofen after the first 6 miles.
I stood in our 40-degree pool for 10 minutes after the run, and I iced the hip off and on all day yesterday and it's still sore today. Although not painful at the moment. It just kind of kicks me in the pants when I walk, stand up, go up and down the stairs, you know, when I move. :(
I'm hoping it's just bursitis or something, and that a little cross training will keep me in shape for when I start pounding the pavement again. But I HAVE to force myself NOT to run on it even though I want to so, so, so badly. I know I'd get out there and still feel the pain and still run through it like an idiot, possibly side lining myself right through Boston.
I am calling my doctor tomorrow and insisting on an MRI. I just need to know what this sudden, acute pain is. Could it be a result of the prolonged wear and tear on the IT Band, or my on going piriformis problem gone bad? Who knows? I hope to find out soon.
In the meantime it looks like A LOT of stationary cycling and swimming, possibly pool running too. God, please get me through this! Just help me accept it.
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


9 comments:
Hey SL,
Sorry to hear about your hip pain. I'm glad you're getting it checked out. I am always paranoid about getting injured and I know eventually it's something that will happen. I think you're doing the right thing about listening to your body and cross training until you find out exactly what is going on. Hoping for the best for you! Take care, you have lots of support from the running community.
I hope you're 100% soon! Hips can be tricky. Glad you're resting it.
I'm so sorry, GB! I know how desperately you want to get out there but know that you are doing the right thing by choosing to x-train AND see your Dr. My prayers are with you.
Oh Bummer! I hope it's nothing too serious or long-lasting. Take it easy.
Argh! Hang in there GB, and I hope it's nothing too serious.
Damn you, hip! I feel awful for you GB. Just to add insult to injury...your Ohlone 50 entry is now official on the website. I think this will be a small blip on the radar for you. Praying for your quick recovery.
Hey. I realize you have absolutely no idea who I am, but I found you blog through a long series of links on other running blogs. I like seeing how open you are about your faith. Very encouraging! I hope your hip gets better soon!
hope you're feeling better and it was nothing too serious.
GB, chances are it's one of those hidden torn ligaments or something like that. It may not even show up on an MRI and unless you go to a sport oriented doctor, you can bet you'll hear "stop running until it heals".
You could be getting some arthritis though, and that would show up on an xray. Were you ever injured in that hip? I took a couple hard licks to my lower back when I was a teenager (car crashes) and now I have the degenerative arthritis there as well as "compressed discs".
Let's just hope it's minor and heals quickly. We need you in the game girl.
Post a Comment