Well, they were negative. That's good news. My doctor (God bless him) was a marathoner himself back in the day and he won't order an MRI at this point. Oh well, it'll save me some serious money I guess. He did refer me to a sports medicine doctor though and I'm grateful for that.
I'm sitting on a tennis ball right now, and it's digging into the sore spot where my hamstring meets the glutes. Ouch. It's effective, but man it hurts.
I pulled a very stubborn maneuver yesterday and went running. I did 10 miles at an 8:30 pace. Was supposed to get at least 6 minutes of uphill time in there, but everything was too jacked up to add hills into the mix. Well, I'm sore today. My hip is kind of throbbing. But I won't complain anymore because it's really of no use.
I will run anyway. I figured out that I will run until I physically collapse to the ground and can't get up.
I don't know if that's just stupid or stubborn. A combination of both I suppose. I don't know what I will be doing as far as speedwork for the week. I will probably attempt it on Thursday. Today I'm resting, tomorrow I'm doing 4 miles and 6 x 100 strides. I just can't stop no matter how hard I try!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


5 comments:
Best wishes, good running, take care.
Phew! SO glad to hear the x-rays are negative! Now, I'd try to play the voice of reason here, but I know myself - I do not always listen to reason. I tend to take it as criticism more often than not. I can only relate my own experience. I ignored the pain from my Plantar Fascitis until I was in very, very real pain EXCEPT when I was running. So I stayed in denial a long time. My problem was not the increase in mileage, it was worn out shoes. I can say I wish I had listened to my body so I could have healed earlier, but I didn't. I DID listen when the doc told me if I wanted it to heal quickly I needed to stay off it. We hit on cycling as a good cross-training fit to keep me from gaining too much weight, always a concern for me. Looking back, it was tough but I have bounced back to pre-injury speed, and I'm running much more mileage. So I'm glad I listened to him.
If you don't trust the new Doc (cool that you're seeing one!) I think it will be hard to readjust your goals. But if you do injure yourself, that decision will be made FOR you. You're a smart runner, and stubborn too. Sounds just like me. Our stubbornness can help us, or hurt us. I'm pulling for you to get well and tear up Boston either way!!
Hey Silly Lillie, sorry about the hip but I have the same MO as far as injuries go. I love to run, running makes me happy and if I can run, I am going to run--regardless of sickness or injury. I just try to work around the injury by walking hills or running on the treadmill, cycling, swimming etc. Active recovery/rehabilitation.
And I always say: it is better to struggle in training than in a race.
Hang in there.
Hi GB- I have been following your blog for awhile, found it through the RW disucssions. Just jumped into blog-land myself.
I was just diagnosed with a Femoral Neck Stress Fracture. The pain is obviously in a different area than your pain (mine is best described as a cross between a pulled hip flexor and a severe groin pull), but I just wanted to tell you to be very careful if you're going to run throught he pain!
I tried to ease off the running for a week, then just cross trained for another week, but the pain wasn't going away and was getting worse. I know that 10 different doctors may tell you 10 things, but if the pain doesn't improve, please be careful if you keep running!!
A little rest can do wonders for your state of mind as well as your body. Just because you take it easy to let yourself heal doesn't make you less anything.
My doc says that you can push through muscle soreness, but joint soreness or muscle/ligament tears have to be respected. I ran "through" a sore toe joint for two years before I finally went in to see a doctor about it and now I've been on the DL for the last month and a half - the first part of that spent barely being able to walk on it.
Rest is normal - you can't redline all the time and expect not to hit a wall at some point. You're smart and you're passionate about running, but don't let a potential short term setback lead you to do anything that will shorten your running career. You will only come back stronger if you just take it easy for a while.
Post a Comment