I ran 21 miles today instead of 22, but that's okay because the last 12.31 miles were at an average pace of 7:07/mile... that's 8 seconds faster than my marathon goal pace! The average pace for the 20 miles was 7:37/mile. The 21st mile was a cool down. The run was challenging, but it didn't leave me feeling completely spent. However I am pretty sore now, as I type this at almost 10 p.m.
Anyway, started the day with a trip to my favorite coffee shop and had 2 cups of full strength coffee, a piece of broccoli-tomato quiche, a half of a 4" bagel with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and a cup of mixed fruit. It was enough food that other 'regulars' that know me there said, "Are YOU eating all that?" Embarrased, I said, "Yup." They all know I run so they asked how far I was going today and I told them I was shooting for 22. Then they nodded and understood the need for the grub.
I headed out the door at almost 11 a.m. It was overcast but warm enough that I didn't need more than one layer. It felt muggy out, or as we Californians say, it felt like earthquake weather.
The first 8 miles of the run were around an 8-minute pace, give or take. The next 7.3 miles were at a 7:14/mile and the next 5.01 were at a 6:59/mile. I did not waver from those paces by more than a second. They were that consistent. It was weird and amazing to me all at the same time. The cool down mile was 9:19.
I said quite a few quick prayers as the going got tough. And God must've heard them because I got through the entire run in one piece. :) I also was more conscious of my stride today, as one of my training partners, Ali, has taught me to be. When I got tired in the last 10 miles, I'd say, "lengthen" as in my stride, and I'd relax into it. Soon it felt like the road was moving underneath me as I ran on top of it. And everytime I got into this groove I'd check my pace and it was always faster! This little stride exercise also helped get me through to the end in my goal time. :)
I also was so inspired today by fellow blogger, Squirrel. He's training for the Flying Pig in May and working to improve upon his already sub-3 status. HE WILL! Last week he ran his first 100-mile week! That was coming off of an injury. Today he ran his fastest 20 mile training run to date. He did the WHOLE thing at a 7:11 pace, and that's just a training run for him. Anyway, I've sought his advice many-a-time throughout this training cycle and he's always honest. He pulls no punches, and it's that forthrightness that motivates me. So thank you Squirrel, aka Steve!
And thanks to all of you for YOUR feedback on my training. And Pastor Greg for your prayers! It's like having a bunch of coaches and I feel so fortunate. I hope to carry your spirits with me as I run Boston a few weeks from now.
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


16 comments:
Way to go! You are amazing!
gaj
You crack me up. =)
Fantastic run, GB. Though I'm not sure I understand what "earthquake weather" is??? Hopefully you can expand on that a bit.
Thanks for your faith in me and my training, but I'm not improving nearly at the rate you seem to be. Heck, half of my training is focused on keeping ahead of you. :p
Congrads on the great 21 miler.
I'm just another anonymous reader out on the web, but I just wanted to say that your training preparation and work ethic are truly inspiring.
Also, it's always great to "see" another Christian runner out there. (I too offer up multiple prayers out there-- when I'm asking for help getting up that last big hill, I imagine Him pushing me along.)
Anyway, thanks for all of your sharing, and best of luck to you in Boston!
Isn't it great how we find inspiration in each other? I did my first 10k yesterday and was so reminded of one of your 10k reports and how speedy you were. I think you were chasing down a rabbit or something like that. Anyway, you were inspiring me. I didn't exactly chase anyone down :P but just keeping going at an even clip is a win for me.
Great job on the run!!
I've been very inspired reading about your training for Boston. Keep up the amazing work! Qualifying for and running the Boston Marathon is a huge goal for me.
What a super long run! I love reading about runs like that one. Your progress never ceases to amaze and inspire me.
Great job GB! :) You are such a natural speedster. Amazing!
I had a great run myself on Saturday- we are both going to have such a wonderful Boston Marathon. We should start planning our meet-up, I'll defintely be watching the Trials and another possibility to meet would be the Expo.. if you would like, email me at runningstories at yahoo dot com. :) Only 3 weeks to go!!
Congrats! The worst is over. You are going to rock Boston! I am so bummed I'm not running this year. I emailed them to see if they would honor my last qualifier since I was pregnant last year and couldn't run and they wouldn't let me in! Boohoo. Maybe I will have to have my own "satellite Boston marathon" like they do in Iraq. Did you hear back from runner Val yet?
Girl, you are scary fast these days!!! Way to go!! See you soon! :-D
WOW! Way to go! You continue to be amazing and inspirational!
Way to go, GB! That is an awesome run! :D
Hi There!
Your preperation and training is intense! I was reading back, and I think you'll do fantastic in 3 weeks!
Got any secrets?:P
First off YOU and Jen Better Meet up not like last year when U missed each other OK!!
You Promise?! OK Thanks :-)
Awesome 21 miles GB !! Your so Ready for Boston!!
Hello,
Congratulations on your great half up here in Sac. I don't know if you remember or not but I was running with your for the first 2 miles. Before the 2nd mile marker, I caught my foot in a pot hole. You reached out to grab my elbow to keep me up. You asked if I was ok. I didn't respond. I was is too much pain and as much as I wanted to say yes and have it be true, I knew it wasn't. At that instant I had broken my foot. I walked to the start, went home and got X rays that confirmed what I had feared. I'm now on crutches and non weight bearing for a while. That was a horrible day for me as I was also training for Boston and using that race as a tune up. I was happy to see you went on to run a pr! I'm not sure most people would slow down to help a stranger mid pr effort but you did. I have wanted to thank you since that day. So thank you for being there, being concerned and helping me. Your half time shows that the sub 3 marathon is in your reach. Your workouts look to support it as well. SO I wish you all the best in Boston. Run well for the both of us.
Great run GB! You're set for Boston and the spring races ahead.
You've already received lots of good advice, so I'll just say my money's on you to have a great outing.
Post a Comment