Hey there. Just a quick check in to recap the weekend's happenings. Friday I ended up taking the toddler on a 22-1/2 mile bike ride because the jogging stroller had 2 flat tires that I was too lazy to take care of. The ride felt great and I managed to keep the RPMs between 88-91. We did this on my shoddy mountain bike with just a few gears! I was DONE, COOKED, FINISHED when the ride was over. So much more than after any hard or long training run. Kudos to all the cyclists out there!
It turns out that 22-1/2 miles of cycling with decent RPMs made my heart work in such a way that the ride was equivalent to a little over an 8 mile run. I needed the break from pounding the pavement, but my legs still worked, just differently.
Saturday I worked at the running store and it was GREAT. Baptism by fire for sure. Within 5 minutes four different families came into the store, all of them needed to be analyzed and fitted for new running shoes. It was awesome. I learned so fast about the different types of runner's feet and the shoes best suited for each type. I actually did the analysis and my coworker (who is a 2:40 marathoner and much more experienced) double checked my "work" and I got everything right! Yaaay!
After work I did a shake out/easy run of 4.3 miles. Today I met up with Kim, Toxie and Chris and we ran 20 together on the hilly roads about 45 minutes outside of town. Kim and Toxie were crazy fast, averaging a 7:22/mile pace, while Chris and I ran together for 16, and then I finished the last 4 alone. (Chris had to go). My average mile splits were 8:12. I was happy with that considering the much heavier week I had mileage wise, along with the 2 quality workouts on top of it. Next week we all race the half marathon. Should be good!
Tomorrow I rest. Very thankful for that. Side note: Jenny G., a Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor and a fellow blogger, logged over 210 miles last week... of running!!! That girl is amazing. She did not let the cancer get her down, and she's obviously doing phenomenal now as a survivor. Go Jenny!
Non running related: the kids are home from their dad's. He flew off to the Army today and the kids were okay until night time. As I kissed my daughter goodnight, her tears for her dad flowed and flowed and flowed. I did all I could to not cry with her, and held her until she calmed down. My son is doing all right, for now. I'm just going to be there as they let it all out and pray that they don't feel sad too long.
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


1 comment:
I love how you rise to a challenge. Working ANY retail job and having four customers at once would have me quaking in my trainers, let alone a job that requires a lot of shoe knowledge and personal attention/questions to determine just the right shoe. :) But you just relish that challenge and have fun. They are lucky to have their shoes fitted by GB!
Post a Comment