That about sums it up. Oh I have been eating nonstop. Outrageous crap. My weight has gone up 4 pounds since Boston. Yikes. I'm trying not to be so hard on myself because I know my body needs the calories as much as the rest, in order to recover and gear up for the next training cycle.
I did a real run for the first time since Boston. I took the toddler out for a 30 minute recovery paced run and we covered about 3.2 miles. My hamstring tendinopathy issues are still present and that's not very encouraging, but I'm sure I'll be okay. Other than that, my legs feel pretty good. I am excited to race a 10K on May 10 and then the 50K on the 18th. I have decided to make the CIM my goal marathon for the fall. I will definitely run many shorter distance races before then. I just love to race.
Last Saturday morning I ran a 1-mile Dash For Cash with my 8 year old son. He was so funny! He had to walk every now and then, and he would walk fast. I'd encourage him along and he would say, "Okay. I'm ready." But one time he finally said, "But mom, YOU'RE an athlete! I'm not." I had to laugh out loud and he laughed too and I said, "Hey, YOU play soccer and run track and field. I don't!" So there ya' have it. With that he finished the rest of the mile without walking and he came in ahead of me with a time of 9:06. I'm proud of him!
This week I'll be doing very easy recovery miles. Probably no more than 45 to 50 minutes at a time. Next week I'll throw in more miles and probably one quality workout with speed. I don't think I'll really taper for the 50K since I'm still in recovery mode, and that's pretty much a taper in and of itself. :)
Thanks again for all your kind comments! I will post my training schedule here in a few days for those of you who are interested. I am more than happy to share whatever "knowledge" I've got. I'm just an amateur though! Luckily I have found a hobby I truly love.
Take care!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


10 comments:
Congrats to your son! What a fun event to do together. You are a great example to your kids.
Enjoy your recovery, you'll lose the weight quickly and you deserve to indulge and relax.
I haven't officially decided but I"m thinking of CIM again this year too. It's just such a fast course, it's hard to resist!
Sounds like you are doing really well with the recovery. Glad to hear it.
I just found out my friend from Iowa ran 3:19, you were just finishing ahead of her. Any chance you saw a super skinny girl with cuts and blood finishing behind you? I guess she got tripped in mile 7. Poor thing.
I live vicariously through my speedy friends. :D
Take care!
LOL Nanc....ya Me too :-)
Congrats to ur son & yes I agree with Jen what a great role model you are to ur kids.
have a great week and ummm put down the junk food, only a week buffer on that stuff...TIme to get back to work :-)
and woo hoo on that 50 K coming up, I just went over to the site... Do I SEE Trails -lol ahhh ur going to do great, just remember to GO OUT SLOW the first half & FUEL FUEL FUEL ...u fast peeps tend to forget that-lol
You Rock!
I'm a new reader, came hear randomly from a post on Kristin Armstrong's website!!! I love you writing, and wondered how many years you've been running? I'm pretty new at this (and in my mid-30's) and I need a little inspirtation that I could possibly make it to Boston someday too!!!
I enjoy your blog!
Just an amateur my foot! Your marathon PR was in Boston, AND it was 3:17 and change!
I find your blog to be very inspirational and a source of motivation for my own running. I just registered today for the Marine Corps Marathon in October, which will be my first 26.2.
-Patrick
calorie rich recovery because you earned it girl!!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy. later.
Sis! Congrats on Boston...I was just reading your RR and had a good chuckle. I also checked out Kristin Armstrong's RR and yup she mentioned the pee story! Nice.
Looking forward to running the CIM w/ you. Kendra will be running the full too. I ran a 5k w/ Kayleen the Sunday before the Boston...I think I told you that she ran 25:17! I ran 20:06, just missed sub-20. Oh well. I think if I had trained it would have happened.
Great job again, you are gaining a legion of fans! Cool stuff!
Hi Silly Lillie!
I am the runner who introduced myself to you on the course at Boston! Congrats on a great race!! I was way off my goal and I still haven't figured out why I had such a rough day. Oh well, time to focus on the next one. I think I am running CIM for my fall marathon. It will involve some travel but this choice will let me get the most recovery time after Boston and still have time to build my base back up again. I'll be shooting for that sub 3:10 that I wanted at Boston.
Hi,
I'm a blogfriend of John Fenton's. How old are your kids? Mine are 10, 7, and almost 2.
When you run with the toddler, do you use a jogging stroller, or just a regular stroller, or do you just chase them down the street? =)
Visit me at see-mommy-run.blogspot.com.
Ashley
Sorry so delayed on the responses and I appreciate your comments!
Ashley, thanks for posting. My kids are 10, 8 and 2-1/2. I push the toddler in a jogging stroller that we bought shortly after he was born. I love it! Sometimes the kids ride their bikes next to us when my hubby is at work.
bmw r 90/6, way to go on signing up for the MCM! It's one I really want to do... someday. Have fun with it and run your heart out!
Jess in Nebraska, I'm glad you enjoy the blog and thanks for posting. I've been running since I was a teenager, but didn't know a thing about proper training until 2006. I am in much better shape now in my late 30s than I was in my teens and 20s. Keep at it and work hard... Boston is not out of reach!
Nancy, there were so many cute, skinny blonde girls on the course! But I did not see any that were bleeding. :( Looks like she had a great race despite the fall. Tough cookie!
Post a Comment