Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Thoughts on Taper

I love tapering for marathons. After training so hard for so many weeks, my body just needs to take it a little easier. The first week of my taper ended with a 20 mile run yesterday on a very hilly road. The net elevation gains were 2561 feet and the descents were 2691 feet. Cheryl, Ali and I ran it at an 8:00/mile pace. We also had a couple of hard and fast training runs during the week. My total mileage was 56. This week it will be only 43 and the week of the marathon I'll have 27 leading into Boston, and then the marathon itself.

I'm tired and as far as my hunger goes, I feel like I did in the first few days of my 'diet' back in January... FAMISHED. I gorged on the junkiest junk food you can imagine tonight. I won't even tell you because you'll probably get nauseous just reading about it. Okay, I'll tell you a few things: 3 mini bags of greasy chips like cheetos, doritos and lays. A few spoonfuls of chocolate frosting (for cakes) mixed with peanut butter, 3/4 of a pint of Ben and Jerry's low fat Pfish Food, and a handful of almonds. I know, I know... gross. But boy did it TASTE GOOD!

The crazy thing is after eating a healthy dose of calories yesterday after the long run, I weighed in at 122 this morning. A little over 12 lbs. lost! I'll get back to normal eating tomorrow and all will be fine. One night of overdoing it out of many weeks of eating healthful meals won't sabotage everything. I have to focus on the big picture. :)

Not much to write about at this point. I just need to brush my teeth and rack it. Hubby comes home from work tomorrow and I can't wait to spend time with him. I miss him when he works, but at least the kids are great to be with. I have a wonderful family. :)

Okay, see ya' soon.

10 comments:

Van 1- Hall said...

Sounds like me yesterday! Don't feel bad I knocked back a blizzard and a bunch of snack mix. Just think of it as a "body shock". Only 14 more days...

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

whew u dropped 12...wow that's a big plus over 26 miles, way to go!!

NOW Don't eat tooo much of that junk the next few weeks :-)

GB I am very excited for you going into this race...

VISUALIZE 2:59:59 or better!!

Anonymous said...

You are the only person I know who can make a 20 mile run sound fun and relaxing. :)

keith said...

enjoy your taper!!

Mir said...

You have definitely earned this taper--the work you've put in lately has been amazing.

The food list sounds awesome. I am salivating. Total opposite of gross, trust me. Maybe I will go to lunch now. :) And try not to eat all junk food. :D

Anonymous said...

you are an inspiration! gosh, i wish i could run like you! Practice. right?

Anonymous said...

Hi SL,

First of all you ARE going to do super in Boston! And secondly you well deserved those treats. I know I have my moments where I indulge in goodies but hey that's why we run right?! to burn it off....that is the beauty of it..:)

Congrats on losing those pounds, I know it has to make you feel great...believe it or not I fluctuate all the time w/in 5lbs or so, so I know how I feel sometimes when I put on those extra pounds and then to lose it as well.....again, I think as women we will always struggle with those few pounds...lol

Thanks again for stopping by my blog, I did follow up with a response...

Best of Luck!!!

Marathon Maritza said...

I LOVE that your first taper week is still 56 miles...dude, you are SO HARDCORE! You will kick but in Boston!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your taper. You deserve it!

gaj

Arron said...

cheetos have taken over my life. and i am not training for anything. its a slippery slope. i mean cheesey slope. :) later.