Okay, so that first run back after a week off was a little harder but I have been eating non stop this week so I had to run! I ran 43+ minutes on Tuesday and felt very good. Then ran 51+ minutes on Thursday and felt very fatigued, very tired. My legs actually kind of hurt. To top it off, I was actually fallingn asleep at the dinner table! I went to bed at 9 p.m. and woke up at 7 a.m.
Today I bought new DS Trainers and decided to break them in with a 55 minute run at 2 p.m. I don't know if it was the lasagna and bowl of Cheerios with milk I had for lunch, but the run felt absolutely awesome! I ended up running for an hour and 4 minutes. My Garmin read 7.5 miles when I finished. My legs feel pretty good. My big left toe is mildly sore and I'm sure I'll lose the toe nail, but such is life!
I talked to my coach yesterday and he said he'd give me a cruise/tempo interval workout to test the waters next week, and that if I felt more fatigue than normal it's back to easy running for another week. He said he knows recovery from ultras on a course like Ohlone will take some time, but that easy running will be fine. Gives me hope for when I ask him about the 50K in August and the 50 miler in October.
I've narrowed the trail shoe choices down to either the Montrail Streak or the Inov8 RocLite 315. Just gotta decide and order.
Okay, hope everyone is well! Happy running.
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


9 comments:
Sounds good GB, and I found that Running Warehouse is one of the best resources for shoes....
2nd day free shipping and always very competitively priced....and a returned UPS label if they don't fit correctly...check it out if you haven't already :-)
Duoh what happened to my comment? Lost in cyber space again. Anyway I was saying that it's time to take those babies out for a test drive. Put them on and run around, ask if you can take them on a trail? There's a sporting goods store here that had a small ramp with a fake trail surface. It was tiny but I marched in place and got a slight feel of how it felt on a climb and how it felt going down. I even ran up and down a lil bit.
Sounds like you are recovering just fine. Which reminds me I need to sign up for Firetrails.
I can only reply to comments on my blog with a comment on your blog, sorry to anyone else reading this.... Yes, Kettle is on, have to defend my title against Joe Kulak (who is still formidable). My race report from last year, if you're interested.
http://ultrailnaka.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html
I'm an ER doc. You?
I like the Sportiva shoes so far, but obviously I'm sponsored now. I think different shoes work differently for different people and different purposes. If you get into this, you'll regularly use more than one shoe at a time.
What 50K in August?
~Jo Lynn
Hi Jo Lynn, Skyline 50K, every first Sunday in August.
So are you doing Skyline and not Marin?
I still haven't figured out where you live-- I'm going to do a long(ish) run (12-15?) somewhere south of SF (Woodside?) off the 280 on Sunday. I know weekends are probably hard with family time and all, but if you want to join us, it'd be great to have you...
Oh yah! Duh! I knew that. :)
~Jo Lynn
totally off topic, but how do you like your DS trainers? I just switched to asics and need racing shoes. it's been a while since I even considered getting any. saw someone wearing them at a race this morning and thought they were cute, which normally I don't care about but it helps. Been switching shoes a lot but seem pretty happy with the asics. I just wasn't thrilled with the feedback on them at roadrunnersports.com
just wondering what you thought.
Corcorama, I've been wearing Asics for a long time and the DS Trainers for about a year now. I love the Trainers. Have raced two marathons in them and had NO problems. So comfy and so light, very little arch support which suits my neutral feet just fine. Get a full size bigger than your normal street shoe. EVERYBODY I know that has used them loves them.
Post a Comment