Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Running and Loving It

I really like running right now. Last week I logged 52.85 miles and this week I'll probably log about 60. I've been following Miguel's advice and I've never felt better AND more tired. ;) I'm tired because I'm getting up at 4:30 a.m. several days per week to get the first of two daily runs in. Don't worry, they're not hard runs. He has me doing doubles on recovery days. Surprisingly my body is adapting. I just need to train myself to get to sleep earlier at night.

On a non running related note, I love having the kids home and out of school. It's just nice! They've been riding their bikes next to me as I do recovery runs and the company is awesome.

Anyway, my running focus for summer is to build up to a good solid mileage base (I have a feeling it's going to be 70+ mpw instead of 60), run low 19:00 or high 18:00 in a 5K and run a high 39:00 or low 40:00 in a 10K. Miguel is happy about me doing a 50K in early August because that gives me a nice reward for the work he'll have me doing and it also gives me enough recovery time before I start marathon training. I also have a tune up half marathon in October in which I'm aiming to run sub 1:25. I'm knocking on wood as I hope to stay injury free.

Work will be keepig me busy in July and August, so I'm going to enjoy June as much as I can!

I smell tacos downstairs so time to eat dinner. Have a good one.

12 comments:

Ashley said...

Maybe if I ran with them, my kids would learn to ride their bikes without training wheels...

We went for a walk around the neighborhood tonight, and I jogged a little bit (I'd already been to the gym) and they chased me...then they started racing each other...it was cool to see.

Maybe the next time I do a 5K I'll drag them with me (or at least the 10-year-old, he has long legs).

What do you think?

Ashley

Cat said...

WOW!! Those are some amazing goals. I hope you reach them! Good luck :)

Ms Eva said...

Tacos sound yummmmmmmy! Can I come over? :D

Nuke Runner said...

Another 4AM runner? Welcome to the club ;)
Great to here you're back and having fun.

209Mike said...

GB. I can't wait to see what kind of ridiculous performances you throw out there later this year. I'm glad I got to run with you for 9+ miles at Ohlone - might be the last time I can ever stay up with you. I'll let you know if I'm healthy enough to sign up for Skyline.

John Fenton said...

I'm not doubling yet, but I plan to start during my marathon training cycle. It'll be a new experience, but there's no other good way for me to get in 85 mpw. Three long/hard days with 15, 15, and 20 still leave 35 miles over four recovery days. Since 8.75 miles in singles is too much for recovery days, I'm left with doubling.

Perhaps I should take a crack at a weekly double or two now to get used to it. Hmm.

And I admire your goals as always. I just hope to stay close to you on the improvement curve.

John

GB said...

Hey John, doubles are going to be the only way I can get up to that mileage too. I think he's throwing them at me now to get me used to them and for me to work out the kinks with scheduling, etc. He says I can play with the recovery days in that if I don't feel up for the 2nd run in the PM, just skip it. As we get to marathon training that probably won't be the case. Anyway, I'm trying to keep up with the likes of you!

Ashley, you definitely know your kids better than anybody. My kids are stronger sprinters and cyclists, but have a hard time running more than a mile without having to stop and rest a little. When they do fun runs at races, it's usually just the 1 mile events. The most they've run in a 'race' is 2.62 miles (and they did have to stop and walk a little). Just have fun with them and sooner or later they'll want to do what you do, if they don't already. :)

Rick Gaston said...

Woman with a coach and a race plan. Sounds like a recipe for a successfully Summer and Fall. I'm glad things are running smoothly again. If you've never done them, ice baths are great with recovery.

Anonymous said...

Hey GB,
those are some wonderful goals! I believe you can do it. Now, if only i could be like you and start a running plan again!?!?! God bless!!!

jaysummer4 said...

gb,
A big ol' glass of wine can help you get to sleep earlier.
Seriously, stay healthy, and good luck on those race times. Your running inspires me and others

GB said...

Jojit, good to see you! Thanks for saying hi. I hope you're well, brother.

And thanks to everyone who commented. :) I read them all!

F. Lee said...

Hey! You'll get the sub 1:25, I know it.