Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Friday, June 06, 2008

Feeling Better

Thanks everyone for cheering me up when I wasn't feelin' it. I wish I could hug you all! I am feeling better now. I've been following my coach's workouts and surprisingly feeling very good. His biggest concern right now is to make sure I am recovered well from all the races in the past 6 weeks. Doing his workouts has been very encouraging for me this week and I'll top out at about 54 miles for the week.

The running highlight of the week was running in the Law Enforcement Torch Run for the Special Olympics with some coworkers and Special Olympics athletes. We ran on Tuesday and being around all of them did a lot to lift my spirits. I did 11.25 miles and my sit-bones were pretty sore afterward but they were fine during.

I also did a nice speed session on Wednesday and I ran it in winds sustained at 20 mph. I hate that wind! But I managed to hold the paces pretty well and that was a confidence boost. No pain at all during that workout, or after. Surprising!

After a recovery run yesterday I got to uniform up and go work patrol. I LOVE THAT!!! So great to be out there on the streets making contact with people from ALL walks of life you can imagine. Makes you REALLY appreciate what you have, and what you don't have. Life is good!

Today I did another recovery run followed by 10 x 10 second sprints to fire the fast twitch muscle fibers a bit. It felt good. Tomorrow is a track interval workout, short and sweet. Then a recovery run in the P.M. Sunday is an 8-10 miler.

What I really like is how my coach highly recommends I take 2 'easy/recovery' days after the harder quality workout. I think that's going to help my aging body and I'm grateful he's big on recovery.

Now a side note...
I frequent Runnersworld.com A LOT and I post on the Message Boards regularly (since 2006). The RW.com editor in chief contacted me and asked if I could be the first person to 'spotlight' for a new feature they are doing called, "Reader of the Week." I thought he was joking with me but he assured me he wasn't and sent me a questionnaire. I filled it out and returned it, and the 'interview' is on their home page today. How fun!

See ya'll soon! Run happy!!!

19 comments:

mommyrun said...

Loved your spotlight on RW.com! the joke was a good one - I'll have to tell my husband that one (I'm not much of a joke teller though). Glad you're back ~ Jen

seagull junker said...

very cool. you could be in RR!

seagull junker said...

hey wait, you are featured. going back to read it now.

Mir said...

Thrilled to hear you're out of the rut!

Ashley said...

Yay for RW for recognizing what an inspiration you are, both as a runner and as a person (and for me as a fellow mom of 3).

Keep on keepin' on!

Blessings
Ashley

Victoria said...

You're the first person? Sooooo cool!

L.A. Runner said...

Torch Run sounds great. I am a big fan of the Special Olympics. Congrats again on being the spotlight runner. You deserve it! By the way, how are you liking having a coach? Have you always had one?
Rebecca
(L.A. Runner)

keith said...

congrats for the recognition of your hard work! you definitely earned it!

Da Weekend Warrior said...

Glad you're doing better. Congrats on being honored on RW homepage. Honestly, my hatz off to you for doing that Ultra!! I said before I die, I would do one, then an Iron Man, then my career is over!!

But one question... WHY CAN'T I HAVE MY BLOG LISTED UNDER YOUR "HOT DIGGITY BLOG" SECTION?? :=(

GB said...

You guys and gals are so nice! Thank you!

Rebecca (LA), this is the first time since high school that I've had a coach training me. This summer he's going to have me stick to 50-60 mpw and when we start marathon training at the end of August I'll be in the 70 range for averages and top out around 90. That's if I stay healthy!

Da Weekend Warrior... I'm adding you to my blog list. :) Thanks for visiting. If you do an ultra or an Ironman, I bet you get hooked and your 'career' will just be getting started!

DawnB said...

Very nice GB what a great interview. You totally Rock

John Fenton said...

GB, I just stumbled onto your celebrity bio page on RW.com today. You would certainly be my first choice for RW.com forumite of the week, so I think they chose well. :)

John

Jo Lynn said...

Hey gb,
What Garmin do you use? I know yours shows elevation gain/loss and I can't seem to find that on mine (305).
Hope you're enjoying the weather and getting some quality runs in.
~Jo Lynn

GB said...

Jo Lynn, it's the 'grade' category when you set up your Garmin's Data Fields. I have a 305 also.
Go into Settings, the General, then Data Fields. Pick Main 1 and hit enter a few times, then the first field is highlighted for you to edit. Press enter and all the choices will appear. If you pick grade, it will now be one of your main data fields. I hope this helps.

Jo Lynn said...

Hey! You really do rock! LOL Thanks a million.
~Jo Lynn

Ron said...

GB...I'm proud that you're the first runner of the week. You embody the spirit of the competitive runner with your sense of ambitious balance.
I envy your real life running friends.
Ron

Rick Gaston said...

If I pass you at an ultra will you give me a ticket for speeding. Har, har, har, sorry I just, just couldn't resist. Terrible I know:) That's great they did an article on you. Thanks for all the support and kind comments. It was a monster run. Norcal people didn't too bad despite being out of our element.

GB said...

Rick, if you pass me in an ultra that would be a neat trick since you'd be freaking HOURS ahead of me from the get-go. But yes, I would give you a ticket. heeheehee. I can't believe the conditions I'd heard you guys had to go through at KM. I'm working my way over to your blog (and Mark's) to read your reports. You both represented NorCal incredibly! Shnikeys!

Da Weekend Warrior said...

Thanks for the encouragement!! I've been stinkin up the joint recently. I was comparing my Indy Mini to my half last fall where I literally just jumped out of bed and ran and got a time to get into corall B. Now i run 5 minutes slower with more training!! I think i'm going to run with a group... did for the first time today and did 8x400... HARD!! I would have quit after 2x400, alone lol. Keep up the good work with your coach!!!!!