Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Sunday, June 01, 2008

DUMB Running Mistakes I Make

It's not often that I feel true 'pain' when I run. It's usually soreness or nagging aches that I can work through and then I feel better and I finish the run stronger. Today was not that kind of day.

I had a decent breakfast, had some coffee, had water. About an hour later I put the toddler in the jogger and off we went. Each mile got progressively slower and I felt more and more tired. Eventually (around mile 3) I started to feel some sharp shooting quick pains in my right glute, a little higher than the sit bone. Alternating tightness, then quick pain. DUMMY me "worked through it" and kept going further away from home instead of toward home.

By the time I finished the run 4 miles later, my right glute is throbbing and my body is spent. I think, (and you can say 'duh' after this) that I completely and totally underestimated the kind of toll that running Boston, then an all-out 10K three weeks later, then the Ohlone 50K a week after that, then a 5K 2 weeks after that can do to my body. I don't usually run races close together like that, especially after a goal marathon.

What the hell was I thinking?

I'm feeling negative and wiped out. Just PHYSICALLY wiped out. What was that blog I had a few days ago? The mind is willing but the old body is weak. Yea, it's feelin' weak.

12 comments:

Preston said...

Hope you get to feeling better. Any idea what caused it?

209Mike said...

Hey GB. Sorry to hear about the pain! Your body has handled quite a load this year already. Just a little more recovery for you and you'll be flying around again in no time - pain free! Good luck!

keith said...

Lillie,

Recovery is just as key as all the workouts!!!

You'll be back to rockin' it in no time!

While I'm here...

Seeing as you are a blogger on my blog roll, I'm personally taking the time to inform you that

Keith-In-Training has a new address!

Please visit:

http://www.keith-in-training.com/

Make sure to update any feed reader subscriptions, as well by clicking the "subscribe" links as well!

You can delete this after you have updated your feed reader and/or bookmarks. I just didn't have your email.

Thanks & Happy Trails!

Keith

Victoria said...

Easy there, tiger. Seriously, this is the hardest thing sometimes for me when I get all excited about training. It's very hard for me to remember to rest and to listen to my body when my mind is off in planning-land. Your body just needs a minute. It was pretty cooperative these last two months, wouldn't you say? :-)

Dave said...

GB,

Congrats on the 5K...your body just needs to recover. You have put it through the grinder.

This past weekend I finished my first trail race 30K. Not as tough as the Ohlone 50K...I documented it in a race report in my blog. Would love for you to check it...comment with any tips.

http://runningmandave.blogspot.com/

John Fenton said...

Duh! (You said I could say it.)

Like I said on your last post, take it easy for two more weeks. No racing. No speedwork. Don't run if you're sore. That will put you a month out from Ohlone.

Rest does amazing things if you let it. :)

John

Mir said...

It might be a good idea to take a few days off to avoid burnout. You'll bounce back soon!

Victoria said...

Hey Mrs. GBL-- I tagged you. So exciting. I've never been tagged before...

Ron said...

GB,
I hope you're feeling a little better by now. Those pains in the seat can spread, esp. if you run too fast-too soon. Good luch,
Ron

Ms Eva said...

You'll recover in no time... enjoy a little rest.

mommyrun said...

I hope you are ok - take it easy - ~Jen

Aron said...

i just opened up runnersworld.com and there you are!! that is so exciting :)