Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Sunday, August 24, 2008

What I find inspiring

Andre Phillips ran the 400 meter hurdles in the Seoul Olympics in 1988. He dethroned the king of the 400 hurdles, who sat on that throne for a decade, at the Olympics that year by winning the Gold. The 'king' was Edwin Moses. Andre Phillips was just a guy raised on the east side of San Jose, California who at the age of 18 was 'on his own' as he said. He lived in his car for 3 months before finding a place to call home. But while he lived in his car, he worked at a restaurant and he eventually went to school at UCLA. He did not give up on himself. He did not take a path that could've ended his life. He made the best out of what he had at the time. He made his dream a reality when he became an Olympian, and he lived beyond his wildest dreams for that moment when he won the Gold and beat Edwin Moses. He's #1120 on the left, Moses #1114 is on the right.

He's still living the American dream as a Vice Principal at a Stockton high school where the kids just love him, and where he imparts his wisdom and kindness on the kids. He plans on returning to track competition as a Masters competitor next year at the Modesto Relays. I cannot wait to see him! I'll definitely be rooting for him with every step and every hurdle. I want to be like him when I grow up.

I also find my daughter inspiring in the way that she can't wait to take violin lessons because she loves the way the violin sounds. And who can draw a damn good rendition of a Picasso painting, freehand. And I am inspired by my son who is teaching himself to play the guitar, with the help of his granddad, too. But he can already play several chords of the song, More Than Words. He taught himself by watching it on You Tube! And I'm inspired by my youngest son who insists on doing things by himself, and who is talking up a storm.

Life sure is beautiful if you look in the right places. :)

2 comments:

Monica Cassier said...

Beautifully crafted...inspiring!

Thanks, GB.

monica

Gettin Older said...

Agreed, Beauty and inspiration are all around us.

If you need help finding deals on violin stuff, let me know. My daughter plays violin in the school orchestra and chamber orchestra. And, she plays fiddle for fun. She has 2 near concert quality instruments and some that are more suited for beginners. So, she has gotten pretty good at spotting deals on instruments, parts, and strings...