It's been an interesting week. Last weekend I did not run because I was down for the count with a sinus infection and cold, complete with chest congestion. I was feeling better earlier in the week so I did some easy miles and then did some 800s on Wednesday. Felt pretty good! The average for the 4 800s was 3:09. Thursday I was feeling okay, Friday I was feeling sick again and today... today I used my brains (said with a boat load of sarcasm) and I raced the last of the Turlock 5K Summer Series.
I decided to not wear the Garmin and just wear the sports watch. I decided to not look at my splits, which was a good thing (I'll tell you why in a second), and I decided to just go with the flow, hang on as long as I could and try to not collapse at the end.
I felt great in the first mile, smooth. In the middle of the 2nd mile I started to feel some overall body fatigue and started to feel the remnants of the cold in my chest. By the third mile, I was ready to walk. I wanted to throw in the towel and quit. But because Cross Country season starts next week for the local high schools, we had about a hundred kids out there with us. I just didn't want to quit and have all of those kids witness it. So, I pressed on and finished in 2nd place for the women and 13th overall. I'm so glad I had won the first 2 races in the series because I ended up being the overall female series winner. :) The race director is sending me a nice plaque for it!
I looked at my splits with my coach's wife after the race and boy, did we laugh! My first mile was 6:08 (yes, way, way too fast). It felt so good while I was doing it though. My second mile was 6:44 (and this was when I was feeling tired). My last mile.1 was 7:38. Hahahaha, crash and burn! I just could not wait to get the race over with! My overall time was 20:30. I'll take it, especially after having been sick for a good part of the week leading up to the race. It felt good to race though, even if it wasn't a PR.
I still haven't broken 20:00 for the 5K, but I will! Anyway, my times for the series were 21:00, 20:44, 20:30. At least I improved on the course each time. I just don't think I'm made for short distance speed. But that might change when marathon training gets under way... MONDAY!
Have a good week!!!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


2 comments:
Congrats on winning the series. Nice job with running faster even though you had been sick. If you were healthy you probably would have broke 20:00. Hopefully, next time you will.
Glad you are feeling better. It sounds like your 10 miler went pretty good.
I'm sure you'll get that sub-20 soon. You've got enough speed and stamina now. You just need the right race on the right day. (If it were a priority for you, you'd have already done it.)
John
Post a Comment