Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Thursday, September 25, 2008

10 Days to the Rock N Roll Half

What a weird week it has been! Thanks for the nice messages regarding my neck and back. All is fine now. :)

Just a quick recap of how things have gone since my last blog entry.
I pool ran for an hour on Monday (oops, did I already say that)? I did my best to not use my arms. It was actually kinda neat to just use my legs.
Tuesday I ran 15 miles and I really don't like running in the heat because it's harder on my body these days. I slowly picked up the pace every 5 miles and finished the run several minutes shy of 2 hours, average overall pace of about 7:50 (I don't have my log book in front of me).
I was so sore the day after, but I think it's because I got up at 0400 to leave for work, 2 hours away, by 4:50 a.m. Long day! At the end of the day I ran 7 miles on the treadmill with a steady uphill climb on the hill setting. It felt challenging, but not hard enough to call it more than an easy run. However it was much faster than my usual recovery run pace.
The inside of my right ankle, just underneath the bony protrusion, was quite swollen and sore afterward. I iced and iced and took ibuprofen and it was better today, but still sore when I ran.

This morning I ran 6.35 miles at a recovery pace (9:00-9:15/mile average). It felt good to run very mellow like that. My ankle did not hurt much, and the swelling is down. Tonight I run another 4 miles, and will not go faster than my body says it wants to go. I like true recovery days because I don't give a crud about how slow I go. :)

Tomorrow I have a GREAT workout... a hard one but I love these challenging runs. It's a progressive tempo run where I start slightly slower than tempo, hold most of the middle miles at tempo and then finish close to all out for the last 2 miles. I can't wait! I'll report back sometime over the weekend.

Run strong, friends!

5 comments:

Michelle Thoe said...

Wow, you are amazing! I am happy to hear that your neck and back are doing better. I have the same pain on the inside of my left heel. Not swollen, but hurts the first 2 miles of any run these days. Thanks to your blog, I bought "Running Within" and can't wait to get into it. Thanks for the tip! Michelle from MN

runnachick22 said...

GB, glad to see that the training is going well...take care of those aches and pains...I have definitely been pushing myself too hard in training for MCM (i.e. not true recovery runs, running at MP too often, etc) so this week my body protested and I took the time to recuperate with cross-training...I have definitely learned my lesson...listen to your body...run at recovery pace when it's called for...basically everything you are putting into play with your training. You are such a great example for us novice runners ;)

Run Strong!

209Mike said...

Time to kick some butt this weekend. Looking forward to seeing you clock a 1:20. I'll be cheering for you guys!

John Fenton said...

How are you feeling, GB? We need an update. :)

Unknown said...

GB ... are you really SLillie?