Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Residuals & a Race Report on Miguel

I hope whoever is reading this is well and healthy! I still have some residual gunk in my chest and can feel it clearing out with each sneeze or cough. My body feels fine though and I don't feel sick. I think it's just a case of bad allergies accompanied by colorful phlegm. Mmmm, lovely.

But running has been going good this week. I met with Miguel yesterday and he looked to be in crazy good fighting shape! He's probably dropped 10 or so pounds since he left for altitude training up in Mammoth Lakes at the end of July. I looked at him and knew I had no excuses not to whip my fat arss into shape. Anyway, he showed me the overview of my training cycle and it looks challenging but very doable. I'm glad he had gotten me up to a few weeks at 75 miles per week this summer. My highest week will be 90 and I will have about 4-5 weeks in the 80 mpw range. I'm so excited to see how my body and running are affected by this. I'm 39 and am in the best shape of my life as far as running and racing. I have only been racing and training with commitment since 2006, so I think I have a good number of years left in which to improve.

This week was a low mileage week in the 50s range. I did a couple of V02 workouts this week and they both hurt. I like my legs going fast, but I have a hard time liking my lungs burning and my head feeling like it's going to explode. The first workout was Wednesday and it was 4 x 200s with :30 recoveries followed by 4 x 400s with 1:00 recoveries followed by 4 x 200 with :30 recoveries. In between each of the 3 sets I took a 3 minute jog. The 200s were all in the :40-:42 range and the 400s were in the 1:29-1:32 range. I need to work on letting go when it comes to these types of sprints. I just need to do it and not hold back, but call me chicken!

The 2nd workout was 4 x 1 mile speed intervals where I got a full 4:00 recovery between each. By the last interval I could have used a 6 minute recovery! Anyway they turned out like this: 5:54, 6:20, 6:21, 6:23. I was so so surprised to see a sub 6 mile on the road! I have not done that before and was pretty happy. But the last 3 intervals brought me back down to earth. In fact, I almost passed out at the end of the last interval. I was absolutely wiped out. When that last mile started, I literally felt scared (of the pain that would soon take over my body). I said some prayers for health and strength and for some reason, God always seems to hear my prayers for help! He amazes me and I am thankful.

I'm happy with the workout because Miguel told me to just run them a little faster than 6:30s. He was happy with the way they turned out too but he says we need to get me finishing faster rather than slower. Absolutely the truth! He also said that with good tempo training, I will soon be able to hold my paces at the faster end of the spectrum instead of finishing almost :30 slower than the first mile.

Okay, today is an easy 3-4 miles and I'll probably do it on the treadmill when the kiddo is napping. My older kiddos are at their step mom's and will be back tomorrow afternoon.

I do think that I will ask Miguel to change one thing: make my long runs on Saturday and easy runs on Sunday. I really want to be able to go to morning mass and enjoy it rather than worry about a long run I have to do later. I think he'll understand. :)

Lastly, I wanted to give a shout out to Miguel for his race performance at the USA 20K Championships. He had taken quite a few days off in the weeks leading up to the race because of an acute achilles injury. He started conservatively in the first couple of miles and then he went for it. He ended up passing 22 runners from the time he picked it up to the finish line and he didn't get passed. He placed 13th overall with a PR of 1:02:18. That's a 5:01 mile average. Awesome!

6 comments:

Victoria said...

You're so inspirational. Yay you.

runnachick22 said...

GB, I am so excited to follow your training for CIM. I have a feeling all your hard work will pay off! Go get 'em girl!

Rick Gaston said...

Your numbers on the track are similar to mine. They do hurt don't they, oy and they burn too but it feels good when you pull it off. Sounds like you have the perfect coach and a great plan for your marathon. We'll miss having you out in the trail races but I know you'll be coming back to join us again next year.

cindy and christy said...

Hey there! Your training is amazing - you are so strong. Those mile repeats are hard work. Christy and I did a workout a few weeks ago of 3k repeats - it was hard work, but definitely helped prepare for the last race.

I think you will do awesome in San Jose. Christy is hoping to pr there too.

Congrats on kicking the cold. As my marathon gets closer I'm starting to get nervous about staying healthy. Are you still doing a lot of cross training? How do you find the time with all those miles? Do you take any supplements. My only one right now is my pre-natal vitamins - haha.

I used to run crazy mileage like that before the pregnancy when I was marathoning, but I have been doing 3-5 quality workouts a week lately(since I just can't find the time with my 9 month old and work), I have been running stronger. I think I was running myself into the ground before trying to rack up all the miles. It definitely needs to be a balance that each individual has to figure out what their body responds best to. You are getting faster and stronger so you are doing well - keep it up!

jen said...

Great job on the speed work. I'm so excited to follow this intense training plan for CIM. You are such an inspiration!

Congrats to Miguel, he is amazing. You are so lucky to have him as a friend and helping you out!!

Keep up the good work. :)

F. Lee said...

Chicken. You said to call you chicken so there! ;P.

Sis, you are flying out there. Nice work. I updated my blog whenever you get a chance. I'll have to load up on the 92 octane when we run. Too bad you'll be in turbo mode, just don't kick up the rocks too much because I hate it when they crack my windshield!!

Love ya,
Bro.