I went to the physical therapist this morning and he told me that I could get stronger and probably avoid surgery and get back to being competitive IF I gave up the high intensity training and racing for at least 6 weeks. Basically, call it a season right now.
He said I could keep running easy miles, but everyday might be too much for now. He even said I could still do a long run of 20 miles every 10 days to 2 weeks or so, as long as I kept the pace in check and didn't introduce speed into it.
His reasoning was because just 3 weeks ago I was so swollen and in so much pain that the sports doctor couldn't even examine the area without me begging him to stop. He said 3 weeks is not enough time for the tendon and arch to strengthen to the point where I could do high intensity running without causing further damage. I need to give this adequate time to heal as best as it can and really concentrate on strengthening the area, and my feet in general.
The PT said if my long range goals were to keep competing and to run sub 3:00 marathons, he highly recommended I don't race the 30K next Sunday and that I don't race the CIM. Also that I forego any kind of speed or tempo work longer than 30-40 minutes, and only once a week if that.
Every time I brought up racing or hard training runs, he shook his head at me and finally said, "You have to make this decision based on your long term goals. If you end up needing that surgery I can almost guarantee, based on my experience with runners, that you will end up being a recreational runner afterward, if you're lucky."
I guess that was enough for me. I'm hanging up my racing shoes for a while. Not my running shoes... just the racers. Yes, I've already cried over it. Drank wine over it. Ate disgusting amounts of chocolate over it. I just need to let it soak in and accept it. At least I can still run. I think I'm going for a 25 mile bike ride tomorrow, just to purge my sorrow over not racing for the rest of this year.
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


11 comments:
Good luck with your recovery. It is wicked hard to think long term goals when you have stuff already inked on the calendar. I am amazed that he said you can still do a 20 every two weeks! At least "no racing" is a better prescription than "no running".
Oh, GB! I'm so sorry. But you can still run... stay in shape... you'll be back in your racing flats in no time. Your body obviously needs you to rest... just think how strong/fast you'll be when you resume training. You're body will remember your speed and agility and you'll be that much stronger.
<< HUGS >>
I haven't been blogging much lately, and consequently, didn't realize you were injured.
I'm sorry to hear about the arch issues. Now's the time to start thinking about a triathlon. Your body will love the cross training, and it isn't as hard on you as just running. That might be easier for me to say, as I truly enjoy biking and swimming, and just happen to be able to run.
Good luck and hang in there. Enjoy those biking miles.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I really thought you would pull it through with the inserts you bought. But I would have to agree with you PT. Suck it up now, and reward yourself later. I'm in the same delima with my hamstring. I just cant fathom being out 6 weeks. But I'm sure your body could use the rest, you are a running MACHINE!! Like the comment above... maybe think of tri's now. I vaguely remember you mentioning it in the past!! Good luck on your recovery... we'll miss your workout tips and accomplishments in the meantime.
Oh GB! Sorry to hear about this. I do know you will be stronger in the long run.
Ok, that REALLY sucks... but now you can train for AR50 with Mike and !!
Seriously, I'm sorry-- I'd have you over for some more wine and chocolate if you lived just a bit closer...
Hi GB I am really glad to be reading your blog again good to have have you back
Sorry to hear about the MRI results six weeks will go by quickly and you will at least still be running which is a big plus.
Wish I was close by so I could help you keep that speed down :)
what a bummer :( i am so sorry but you are definitely being smart and i am sure will be back and healed in no time!! take it easy and hope you heal up very quickly!
Oh NO - sorry to hear about this. I know just how you feel. I was sidelined for 6 weeks with my fractured ribs last winter - it will go by so fast and you will come back even faster. Your body needs the rest - indulge! Maybe we'll get to go for our sub 3 hour marathons together some time...you'll have to read my marine corps marathon race story - ugh!
Sorry to hear that GB. I'll continue praying for your healing. Yes, I've had foot/ankle issues before and although the cause of my pain was totally different than yours , I was told that I would probably have to quit running altogether. 2008 has been my best running year since '98 (HS days) and I'm fresh off a 10K PR.
Hope this gives you a little encouragement.
GB...This is cagirl from RWOL...I know this isn't what you want to hear, but think of it this way...six weeks is a lot shorter than forever. If you get off your feet and really REALLY let the injury heal...no running, no elliptical, then it will heal and the time will be up faster than you think. If you don't, well, you may never get to achieve your running goals. You get to choose.
I have handled injury incorrectly and correctly, and I can tell you this: handling it correctly with discipline and focus will bring you much more satisfaction in the long run than handling it incorrectly.
Post a Comment