I've been discussing orthotics and foot issues with a friend from the RWOL forum. He's The BBK (The Baseball Kid) and he's run thousands of miles over the years and many races, including a sub 2:50 marathon. I asked him to tell me more about his running style and his running shoes. After years of repetitive overuse injuries, he slowly trained himself with the help of Newton Running Shoes to shorten his stride and therefore become a mid foot striker. He no longer uses the Newton Running Shoes because he's become quite efficient at the running style. Well, and they're almost $200 a pop.
I asked him what other tools he's used to avoid repetitive injuries and he said he's tried custom orthotics six times, all of them failed to help. He said it wasn't until his physical therapist suggested he try Walk Fit Insoles that he found a solution for his problems. His back hurt, his knees hurt and his feet hurt and he was just not feeling the love for running anymore. He tried these insoles (oddly enough there is a 'cheesy' commercial, as he puts it, on TV for them) and he has been problem free ever since.
I took them out for a 20 mile run yesterday and it was like a God send. :) Don't get me wrong, the orthotics did not take away that long run 'pain' that you feel from miles 10-20, but it did prevent the sharp foot/ankle pain I'd been feeling. I completed the run the way my coach wanted me to: First 5 at 8:15s or faster, 2nd 5 at 7:50s or faster and last 10 at 7:20-7:30s (I did those at 7:22s average). I was so thankful to have survived it and am enjoying some downtime today.
Anyway, the Walk Fit Insoles support different parts of the arches in your feet, and don't focus on just medial stability. It feels like they are lifting the arch area placed closer to the mid foot rather than at the ankle, so they don't push on the tendon that is already thrashed (in my case at least). They seem to be supporting the bones that the posterior tibial tendon is attached to. I walk around in them and feel complete support! And a bonus is my knees don't crack as much as they used to.
Okay, enough endorsements. I hope you are all running happily and staying healthy. After all, none of this stuff matters unless you have your good health! I learned that lesson and hope to carry it with me forever.


11 comments:
GB,
It is nice to be able to read your blog again! :)
First off, I'm sorry you are struggling with injury. I am recovering from a bout of injury myself sustained this summer. I had to take a month almost completely off. I was able to relate (very closely!) with how you were feeling about not running/not enjoying running.
Secondly, it sounds like you are making great headway! Are you eventually going to try the Newtons? I've read about them a bit and can't decide if they are more of a racing flat or a shoe that has been altered to change your running stride. Sounds like a bit of both.
Glad to hear you found something to help. But hurry! Call now and you'll receive not one, but TWO for the price of one! Plus a beautiful set of steak knives!
(running shoes sold separately)
Had to laugh, "as seen on TV!" beats out all the fancy running technology. Whatever works!
Love the new blog look, very clean and modern. And thrilled that you're finding your way back to the roads and then some, working on exactly the same form problem I have.
Here's to safe running, right back atcha!
Thats awesome!! Sounds like you need to make a little xtra cash doing an infomercial for them. I'm sure there always looking for real people who look great on camera. Aren't those the ones than Joe Theisman endorses?
Seth, how are you doing? Is your injury all gone? I noticed that you haven't posted on your blog for a while.
I don't think I'll try the Newton Shoes. What I've been doing is just shortening my stride a little and that makes me land on my entire foot (rather than just the heel). The orthotics still help with my arches though. I really need that.
I've been working on shortening my stride for a little while now and I'm getting used to it fairly quickly. I have to admit I felt LESS tired in the last few miles of my 20 miler yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I was still tired, just not exhausted.
Wow, I know someone who needs to give these babies a try. He always complains about his feet and arches. I like the new look of the blog. Good to read that you're healthy and running strong again.
So glad you got good news from the doc and continue to run strong. :)
The inserts sound amazing, what a find! Bed Bath and Beyond is great for "as seen on tv" stuff.
Feeling much better. I hit the PT very hard in my weeks off and it helped. I had to abort my BQ attempt this fall, but that gave me the opportunity to get some PR's in the 10k and HM distance, which has been lots of fun. I should probably stop being so lazy and put those up on my blog :).
Good news about the stride and orthotics! Hopefully, you caught this early enough and are taking the proper steps to see you through CIM. I think you are.
Seth / IdaRunner (RWOL forums)
Whoa. New look to the blog-- how startling...
You know, I run in custom orthotics, and I guarantee that I wouldn't be able to run at all if I didn't have them. So I understand the joy of orthotics....very, very well.
I'm glad you're "back," GB. Good luck getting and staying healthy. Things don't feel right when we can't virtually train together. :)
John
Hi Glorybelle,
Yes! I remember you. My you have been busy running and writing. You look fantastic.
I was a runner for 20 years until my hips said no more.
Now, my little lab and I walk Mill Creek Road every day.
Great job on the blog.
Thanks for weighing in on mine.
Cheri Sabraw
Post a Comment