Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Friday, October 24, 2008

MRI Results Are In

Very little bad news and mostly good news. Thank God!

I have tears in my posterior tibial tendon that won't repair themselves, and that has caused my right arch to begin to fall. However, he said the tendon is still functioning fairly well because my arch still has some flexibility and 'bounces back' a little from a flattened position. He sees that as a good sign.

He also re-examined the tendon area yesterday and I felt no pain at all. Nothing. We both were pleasantly surprised. He said as long as I continue to improve and not feel pain, I can keep doing what I'm doing. He said to come back if two things happen... the arch completely flattens out and does not 'bounce back', or I begin to feel chronic pain again that does not go away despite rest and rehab measures. He said I will feel mostly good days if I continue to improve, and there will be a couple of bad days in the mix while I get stronger. But if there's several weeks of bad days, then come back.

We discussed my training habits, the kind of shoes I wear, my short and long term running goals, my race schedule. He took all that into consideration and offered me conservative options for treatment, and encouraged me to continue my training and running. He just advised me to be cognizant of good pain versus bad pain and to know when to pull back. After the last few weeks I am more cognizant of that than ever.

What I've been doing that has helped:
I have added supportive inserts to my low stability shoes. SOLE brand - Dean Karnazes model, heat moldable.
I'm running fewer miles, mostly just the quality workouts of tempo runs, long runs and occasional V02 workouts.
I'm cycling, pool running or doing elliptical on recovery days.
I'm doing physical therapy exercises for the ankles every other day.
I'm shortening my strides so that my feet fall under my center of gravity rather than in front of me. This makes me strike mid foot (or on my entire foot) rather than heel strike. The heel striking causes me a significant amount of pain in the tendon area.
I wear a wrap on my right ankle when I'm not wearing supportive shoes.

He said I could go for it at the CIM! That is music to my ears!!!

9 comments:

F. Lee said...

Thank God for good news. You'll just to need to continue to make those modifications and then you'll be off and running again!!! :D

Anonymous said...

You amaze me! I can't believe you can run injured like that. Glad it's healing and I will pray it continues to heal and no surgery.
Keep running strong.

Danny B said...

Awesome News!! What a great Doctor!! If all of them could be that supportive of running. The inserts are awesome. Keep it up, Quality not Quanity!! Some genious said that once, obviously not a Ultra Runner!

Ms Eva said...

Wonderful news! Continue to take care of yourself & running strong! :D

Mir said...

Long time no see, GB! I've been so busy lately that I haven't been reading any blogs. I've missed them! Anyways, finally getting caught up. Great news about the MRI. I hope things go well, with many good days and very few bad. Your doc sounds awesome.

209Mike said...

Good to hear GB. You'll be healthier and faster in no time.

Devon said...

Glad you'll be able to go for it at CIM. I'll be there too. I had been wondering what happened to you and it just turns out that my Reader wasn't sending your postings to me and then today sent me your past two months of postings....bizarre. Glad your on the mend!

Aron said...

Hi GB - all your posts showed up in my google reader today :) i wasn't sure if you were still blogging or not! i got caught up on your blog and sounds like you have had a tough couple months but this MRI sounds like it is good news!!! keep running hard and smart - you are truly an inspiration! i hope everything heals up very quickly and you can race CIM how you want to race!

Rick Gaston said...

I got into running late and by then runners were spreading the news of running in shorter strides. When you get back on the trail I think you'll find that the shorter strides will help you with the technical stuff, especially on downhills. You can react faster to the changing ground underneath you, change direction quickly and if you slide, you slide with your feet since you're right above them.

Godspeed on your training and preparations for CIM.