Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Maybe it is just anxiety and my mind... maybe I'm not broken

Now I'm just talking to myself, so if you're reading, bear with me.

Last Sunday I had a great, great 18 mile run after having been down the week before. Mike and Jimmy were riding along side me on the bike, and Larry was running with me. He let me dictate the pace... basically I had to do the workout the way Miguel wrote it out:

First 8 miles at 8:10-8:20 pace (easy). Miles 9-12 at 7:40-7:50 pace (even easier, and I ran them faster). Mile 13 at 6:55 (hit it exactly), mile 14 at easy recovery (about 7:35), mile 15 at 6:50 (ran it in 6:40), mile 16 easy recovery (same as mile 14), mile 17 alternated :30 at 10K pace with :30 easy (avg. pace for that mile was 6:47), mile 18 was cool down (7:50 pace). I hit all the paces or was faster and it felt so good. I felt so fresh. The foot/ankle hardly bothered me until the cool down. It was miraculous. I think the average pace for the whole thing was 7:45. I had a good run on Tuesday (10 miles on rolling hills) and then Thursday, I choked the tempo run.

Maybe I am seriously injured, maybe I'm not. Until I know for sure, I will continue to push myself and that might be my downfall.

But at any rate, I HAVE to focus on the good runs and learn from the 'bad' ones. So that's what I'll do. And maybe this time next week I won't be running at all, or I'll have good news from the MRI and continue training for the CIM. Only God knows and I have to trust him. What else is there to do?! I have to trust him.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Danny B said...

Ok I know this is my answer for everything but have you tried to tape your foot? It might take just enough pressure off to take some of the pain away and let you train though it. I know it works for me. Coach Marden always said, Tape it up!!

jen said...

Congratulations on an amazing run! I'm sorry your ankle is causing you so much stress. It always seems to me that the mental anxiety and stress caused by an injury are far more damaging than the actual physical pain. I hope you can stay positive through this. :)

Once you get the MRI results you'll know what your plan of attack is. If you cannot run, you'll get through it! There's all kinds of non-running activities you can fall in love with and you'll have a comeback at your next marathon. And if you can run, you'll finish CIM in a time that will blow my mind. :) Try to relax and count your blessings, you're going to be fine! Keep us updated. :)

209Mike said...

I like your style.