It was about two weeks ago that I had that sudden upper back and neck immobility and I was pretty much laying down for one full day and then did very slow pool running the next day. Exactly one week later my inner right ankle swelled up like a plum due to tendon issues. I took one full day completely off and then did a hard pool running session the next day. I ran 3 days last week. I also found out via xray that I have degenerative bone mass in my right ankle, higher up the bone. Basically I'm at risk for stress fracture there, and for osteoporosis everywhere else. Ugh. And today was the icing on the cake with another episode of anaphylaxis.
Today I raced a half marathon, if you could call it that. The bad news is had I been at the top of my game, I would have taken 2nd or 3rd in my age group. The bad, bad news is I was nowhere close to the top of my game. The night before the race I had broken out with symptoms of anaphylactic shock which I have suffered through several times in the last few years, and spent time in the ER twice because of it. I caught it just in time to pop Benadryl before my airway was completely blocked. I went to bed with a puffy face and a thick throat, and woke up still slightly puffy but breathing fine. When I get full blown anaphylactic shock, I get 'monster' face. It's really, really not pretty. My face, swells up like a balloon, my eyes practically swell shut and I break out in hives all over my body, and then my airway begins to close rapidly.
So this morning I felt pretty good. Had a good night's sleep thanks to the Benadryl. I warmed up for 2 miles with my brother and felt so good, sharp, ready to roll. The plan was to run the first two miles very conservatively at 6:55 per mile and then slowly pick it up to about 6:45 by mile 5, and then let it roll... just race the rest of it at full capacity. I was nailing the splits with my brother by my side. It was awesome. Then I started to feel odd in the 6th mile, just not strong but not winded. We met Larry/Mosquito at the 7th mile (he did the first 6 or so miles as a tempo run and then wanted to run the last half of the race with me and my brother. When I saw him I was slowly on the downward spiral and I didn't even know it.
I managed somehow to kick out a 6:41 for mile 8, and then my body just wanted to quit. I fought it with my positive thoughts, but my body actually overpowered me. It was not 'a wall,' it was something strange that I had not experienced during a race. I still can't describe it except to say that I had nothing in me, despite having eaten very well in the days leading up to the race, and having hydrated well, having had adequate rest and having eaten a good breakfast this morning.
I've felt 'the wall' before... and that was not what I felt today.
Somewhere during mile 9 I looked at my brother and Mosquito and said, "It's a no go for me. I have to DNF. I can't GO.'" They both know that I just don't quit races. I might run them slow if I'm really hurting, but I don't quit. But I absolutely would have walked off the course and quit, without regret, had they not been there and had my husband and youngest son not been waiting for me at the finish. Mosquito and my brother said, "Whatever you do, do not DNF this race. Jog it in if you have to." Mosquito said, "If you DNF now, it will wreck you mentally for the CIM later. Trust me." I said, "Okay, but you guys go, please. And Larry, pace my brother to a sub 1:30... that's his goal today." And with that, they ran on.
I jogged for a bit, contemplating DNF-ing, but then I thought of my hubby and how much I just wanted to climb into his arms. That kept me going. I literally ran 7:10-7:25s for the next 3 miles. During this time, I began to itch everywhere, and then I began to scratch, and then I could see my right upper eyelid in my field of vision and I knew what was happening. That crappy anaphylaxis was coming back! Dammit. It all made sense to me why I was so physically drained and exhausted. My body was fighting it off with everything it had, and not lending much to my running goals. No wonder my body took over my brain.
Anyway, I cheered on everyone that passed me. Inside I wanted to cry but I kept thinking, "Hubby is at the finish waiting for ME. Just run TO HIM." I was very happy when Reyana/Big Girl caught up to me somewhere before mile 11. The sight of her was like seeing an good friend when I needed one, and she helped bring me in. Thanks Big Girl!
I found my husband pretty quickly after I left the finisher's area, and he looked at me and knew immediately that I needed medical attention. He had been to the ER with me when I've had episodes before. When my voice starts getting really deep and cracking, he knows my airway is closing. That's when he said we needed to go to the ER. I kept saying no. We went to the medical tents looking for Benadryl. None of them had any. He kept saying we needed to get to the hospital or to the fire station where they could hit me with the epi-pen and then take me to the ER. I said no. We finally walked into a hotel and found Benadryl in the gift shop. I popped two and about 2 hours later, the itching stopped and my airway was back to almost normal.
As I type this my eyes are still pretty swollen, but other than that I'm feeling okay, just physically exhausted.
I talked with Miguel on the phone shortly after the race and he was concerned. He has had an episode before and was in the ER for it also, so he knows what it does to the body. He knew that was the reason why my body wanted to stop. He said, "Your body was working in overdrive to fight off the allergic reaction. That's what happened to you." Anyway, he told me to rest a lot tonight and tomorrow and then we'd reevaluate the week ahead of us.
Miguel beat Adam Goucher today at the San Jose Half, and ran a PR to boot! Awesome and inspiring!!!
My brother was incredible and finished in 1:30! A huge PR for him. And his wife ran GREAT and finished in 1:51. I'm very proud of both of them. I finished in 1:32, and basically will log it as a semi-decent training/tempo run. I was glad when it was over and it was so good to feel my husband's arms around me at the finish. Salvation. It felt like I was saved!
I'm taking all these physical mishaps as a sign from God that my body probably needs to go easy for a while. I'll cross train a lot because I need that physical activity, but I think all the hard training is finally wreaking havoc on me. :( It has been a long time since I've consistently felt like crap after EVERY run, even the easy ones. That's how I feel now after all my runs, and it's very sad. It's not a mental feeling, it's definitely all physical and that's the hard part. My body is strongly at odds with my will right now.
Thanks for reading, and just know that I am fine. I just need to find out what it actually is that I'm allergic to, and I need to get an MRI for my ankle to find out what kind of tendon damage there is. I already know about the bone 'damage.' Take care of yourselves!
Me and Kendra:
Me and Lee:


14 comments:
OMG, what a horror. I can't believe you still managed to run that fast while all this was going on. Seriously, you are something else, GB!
Yes, do your best to track down the cause of the allergy, it's simply too scary to have pop up on you again without warning. Btw, I can't believe the med tents didn't have any benedryl! Crazy.
So rest up, speedy woman, though I'm sure taking a little time off will drive you nuts, especially after all these kick-ass weeks of hard work, but you have to follow your instincts on this.
Let us know what the game plan is after you discuss the coming weeks with your trainer and here's to a good MRI result on that ankle.
Hugs and healthy vibes heading your way!
SL,
So sorry to hear about your troubles last night and during the race today. Luckily the reaction wasn't much worse, and you are now recovering. FWIW, I think you still ran a great race. You had the courage to finish when things got REALLY tough ( and with an awesome time!!) You really are an insipration for me.
Hope you feel better soon! :)
No, GB-- you take care of YOURSELF! How scary-- I'm very glad you are ok, but my goodness! That's out of control! I'm glad you made it through the race ok, and I hope you figure out what you're allergic to very soon! While I definitely hope you figure all this out before CIM, even more important is that you are healthy!!
Hey GB, what an awful experience but I'm glad you're ok. Way to hold on and finish. I hope you get the rest you need until body and will are in alignment once more.
So scary! You are so strong! You will make it through this awful, bad patch. Hang in there and lean on your family if you need to! Don't be afraid to rest a bit. We are both guilty of training through two much, so I know resting can be hard. Your body will thank you in the long run. Feel better soon!!!! (((HUGS)))
GB,
Wow that's scary stuff. Great job hanging in there and finishing. At some point in a race when all goes wrong you have to just take in everything and try and have a great time knowing you're doing what you love, running, and know there will be another day. That said I would have dnf'd but been really mad that I didn't hang in there. As usual you proved how metally yough you are! I guess its time to add Benadryl to the gels and Ibuprofin. Again, glad your ok.
Take care,
Danny
Is it just me or has this Fall claimed an unusually high amount of injured marathoners in training (myself included)? Congrats on avoiding the DNF and finishing with a solid time, sounds like it's time to give yourself a rest. Hope you feel 100% soon!
Hey there - amazing you were strong enough to finish! I was feeling the same way in my half last week, only I didn't have a dangerous allergic reaction, but just a bad day for me. I have never felt so horrible in a race that day and like you - it was sheer will power that got me to the finish line. I was ready to quit too halfway into it, but kept taking it one km at a time until the finish line was in view - I felt like I was crawling along and people were passing me right & left - it's no fun to race that way.
I learned my own valuable lesson (not enough sleep and rest).
I know you are going to be awesome for CIM - just take it easy and give your body some rest time. You are running crazy hard workouts and crazy hard mileage - just compare your workouts to what you were doing last year. Take it easy, back off a bit, regroup and get healthy. Your body will thank you for it - a week of easy training or cross training will do you wonders. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are going to do awesome at CIM...it's a great course and you will be ready in December!
cindy
Sis, glad you are feeling better. I've always known you are an incredible runner, but now I've seen it! You are an amazing runner. You'll get all this physiological stuff figured out before you know it. You are strong mentally and that is the hardest part. Remember, your body was fighting infection yesterday, not gearing up for a run at that pace. I am still in awe of your time. You are inspiring. Talk soon and love you.
Bro.
Holy crap, GB! You're scaring me with this talk. First of all, glad to hear nothing crazy bad happened to you. I know how hard you've been going this year and how frustrating this must be for you. I really can't believe you still pulled off a 1:32 - that's unbelievable. Time to
get a good recovery, figure out what's ailing you and step back for a little bit to recharge. My prayers are with you! Take care of that health!
The last line is the best line. You need to find out what you are allergic to and fast. Allergies can have a cumulative effect. The more that you are exposed to a "trigger" the worse and faster a reaction could be. Instead of wasting time looking for Benadryl, you should have listened to your hubby and gone to the ER. Please don't play around with something that can keep you from breathing.
Thanks for rockin the Skirt Booth! You are incredible and obviously unstoppable! Happy Resting!
GB,
You are so wise to follow God's will! Sometimes as runner's we forget that there is something so much greater waiting for us than just a finish line, PR, or AG award... Heal up (in God's time of course) and know that I am praying for you!
OM! GB - how scary! My heart goes out to you. 'Gettin Older' is right - rxns do have a cumulative effect so I hope you find the cause soon.
I, too, am amazed you pulled of 1:32 while having an allergic rxn! Every time I check in with you, I am amazed. You are truly my running/mommy role model! Way to go!
Post a Comment