Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Saturday, November 22, 2008

And the hits just keep on coming

I am not kidding. I have had test after test after test thrown at me. First the ankle, then the anaphylaxis, then the ankle again, then 10 days ago a cold that turned into a sinus infection and now... I kid you not, my back is done, out, finito. I have had lower right back pain radiating to the hip and through to the front, kind of by the groin. It's horrible pain. The frustrating thing is I'm not sure where it came from.

I haven't been exercising for the past week because it's harsh on the back. I've been taking anti-inflammatories that do NOTHING, I've been resting. I've even spent a day laying down. I now keep a heating pad on it almost constantly. Nothing helps. Pain is constant. If I really felt sorry for myself I'd say that God is playing a cruel joke on me. But I know that's not the case. He's telling me that I can plan to run or race or do this activity or that all I want, but he's got the final say. And right now he says, "Ha! Fat chance, GB, fat chance."

The last thing I remember doing where I felt my back seriously tweak a bit was running the 30K on Nov. 9. The back has kind of bothered me off an on since, but it became debilitating earlier this week. If it's not gone by Monday, I'm going back to the doctor. I sure hope and pray that 2009 is healthy for me because the last few months of 2008 have been a huge bummer. Huge.

9 comments:

L.A. Runner said...

I'm so sorry you are down. Hang in there; this too shall pass.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Tests won't kill us they just make us stronger, right?! Right!!

Keep the Faith GB !

Mir said...

You sound incredibly frustrated and I don't blame you. What a month you are having! :( I hope things get better soon! Without the bad times, the good would be meaningless. Hang in there and I hope you get this pain figured out soon!

((((GB))))

keith said...

stay strong, GB! everything's going to be fine.

Aron said...

MANY feel better vibes are being sent your way!! hang in there... it will pass and you will be back out there in no time!

Victoria said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this and also about your friend-- big hugs and lots of love to you...

Fishmagic said...

Man, when it rains, it pours. Good luck, stay positive.

cindy and christy said...

Oh no! Have your tried the chiro? My little guy gave me his cold and I am sitting in the urgent care clinic as I type since I now have a horrible sinus infection. I know it sucks to hear, but everything happens for a reason. There's a bigger plan. Just take it easy and get well, you will be back stronger then ever! There's always boston (christy and I are running if all goes well). Enjoy your family this thanksgiving! Cindy

Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl said...

I stumbled upon your blog from another blog that I follow, and felt very intrigued. I have spent the past year and a half going through similar health occurances that have impared my running. And much like you, when I felt at my best is when it struck. Then it was down hill from there and has been one catastrophic event after another. Each time I thought that things were going to get better, something far more severe would happen.
So I offer this to you... be patient, be understanding with your body, your limits, your life. We always think that our bodies are capable of so much, and do not always stop to realize that they are temporary beings that are not made to last. I took up yoga, and it has helped me, but you need to find what works for you...which unfortunatly may take awhile.
One of my favorite quotes is "The thing that defines us as runners, as people, is not how we accept victory but, rather, how we struggle with challenges."
Hang in there!