Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

I was Huffing and Puffing... I was RUNning

I had my first Vo2 max workout of the year yesterday and it was very cool. On schedule was 10 x 800 at a pace roughly based on my Half Marathon goal of 1:28. McMillan calculator translated this to be 3:02. Hmmm. Back before I got injured in late October, I was able to run 800s at 2:55. I thought 3:02 would be a stretch at this point, so I told myself to aim for anything faster than 3:10. Ideally 3:05-ish, give or take.

I had never done 10 800s before, just 8. Recoveries were generous at 2:30, so I knew I had to push these 800s and get into some serious oxygen debt. I wasn't nervous, but I had my doubts about being able to finish the workout. After all, I am fighting a cold off... the same one I've been fighting for about two weeks now. It just lingers.

I laced up my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10 Wear-test shoes (which are AMAZING) and off I went. I told myself, "Just do it and let it ride. It will be what it will be!" I was ready to have fun going "balls to the wall" so to speak.

I did a 2 mile warm up jog and NO striders (done on purpose so that I wouldn't go too fast on the first one, which I tend to do). I ran this workout around a .3 mile block next to my house. I love this block because it's perfect for doing 800s-1Ks. Anyway, my first 800 was 3:13. I was happy with it because I had expected a 3:15. I knew that the ones to come would be faster and they were. So my first five were 3:13, 3:05, 3:01, 3:02, 3:09 (oh yes, getting worked over). I then changed directions and my last five were 3:07, 3:07, 3:05, 3:04, 3:06.

I looked at my finish times after every other one and told myself to run the next one like the previous one... reminding myself that it's supposed to feel that hard and to hurt a little.

POST WORKOUT assessment:
I was very pleased with this workout! It gave me confidence and I am more fit than I thought I was. I still have LOTS of work to do to get into PR shape, but I'm on my way.

I felt like throwing up during a few of the 800s, but to prevent the vomit, I just eased up a teeny bit and relaxed into the new pace. The urge to hurl would disappear quickly. When things felt rough like that, I would close my eyes for a second or two and picture myself doing striders where I work very hard at turnover AND maintaining good form. I would also think of Joan Benoit Samuelson and Dr. Jack Daniels saying: "TEN STEPS EASY-TEN STEPS HARD." Those things relaxed me every single time I felt tense and nauseous!

I walked or very slowly jogged the recoveries because I know my body and when I jog slightly faster, I don't recover fully and go into the next speed interval tired. That defeats the purpose of these Vo2 max workouts. These workouts are different from cruise intervals where you run slightly slower and get very minimal recovery (to mimic tempo running). Anyway, I controlled myself through the first lap of the block (.3 miles), settled into a groove and just let my legs work off of memory. Then for the last .2 miles, I let it go. I let it roll and pushed very hard like I would attempt to do in the late stages of a race.

When it came time to do #9, I thought about quitting and rationalized by saying that I could do 10 next time. But I thought of a few things that made me finish the last two. I thought about the 24-hour bike riding the contestants did as a team on the Biggest Loser this week and their reasons for not quitting when they easily could have. I also thought about my friend from work who committed suicide back in November and how much she loved being outside to exercise. Lastly I thought of Mickey's son, Cody, and how he may never know what it is like to run so freely, all out, with every bit of energy he's got. I ran # 9 for Dede and #10 for Cody.

Later in the day I worked with the shot put and discus throwers and just loved it! Those kids are going to do great this season and in the seasons to come. Good kids! I ended the day by taking my oldest son to Ash Wednesday Mass while my husband took my daughter and youngest son to her Orchestra recital.

This Lenten season is going to be wonderful.

9 comments:

Ms Eva said...

What an awesome workout, GB! Way 2 go! :)



I know you gave up FB for Lent... but when you are back, I'd love to be FB friends with you. :)

Da Weekend Warrior said...

You know I have to steal a couple of workout tips from your site. I thought you were not going to post for a while. Missed u around these parts. 10x800 is a killer (i gotta try it). And to do it alone is a feat. How did u get the Adrenaline 10's?? Those are my fav running shoe... the 9's JUST came out. Lucky you!!

Joe said...

Great workout and way to push through. Thanks for the information about running VO2 max workouts. I'm doing the Pfitz 18/55 plan and will start those workouts in a few weeks. I'm an avid Biggest Loser fan as well!

Monica Cassier said...

Great workout GB!!!! Can't wait until I can get out a run those track workouts!

jen said...

Great workout GB!! You nailed those 10 intervals. That is a very intense workout and you clearly are in great shape. Well done!!

cindy and christy said...

Great workout! My last 800 workout I only managed 5 of them. Val and I were at an indoor track her only 200 meters - so each 800 required 4 laps. I was getting dizzy! We haven't been getting in as many workouts as we like up here in the great white north. As I type, its 29 below celcius here. I am running the first race of the year tomorrow - the chilly half as a training run. It's no fun running with an extra 5 lbs of clothes, but it's running! Glad to hear you are strong as ever. Are you going to Boston?

L.A. Runner said...

Someone's got her mojo back!!!!! Your workout was AWESOME! It seems you have fully recovered and are totally back on track. WAY TO GO! I admire your dedication and your positive attitude.

Progman2000 said...

Great workout and glad to see that you didn't give up blogging for Lent also. I am still beating up on my Adrenaline 7 & 8s, very curious about the 10s now.

Aron said...

awesome job!!!! you totally nailed those intervals! i am always scared of speed work when its been a while, you just kind of forget how it feels. glad you are out there running hard and feeling good again! do you have a race on the schedule?