Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Friday, August 14, 2009

Why Do I Do This?

I had a really good run today. First day back after being up at elevation and I felt a little sluggish this morning, although I slept great last night. My husband was kind enough to ride his bike along side me today as I ran. (My older kids are at their dad's and my youngest is at preschool). So I ran for 20:00, then picked it up for 30:00 of tempo effort, then ran 20:00 at an easy/recovery pace.

I felt fine during the warm up, but still kind of tingly like I felt during the hill repeats at elevation. It was like my scalp and my skin were tingling all over. Hard to explain, but I know it was the elevation that made me feel that way on Tuesday. I still felt it today. I started the 30:00 tempo portion at a comfortable 7:13-7:14 pace and ended up finishing faster because my overall average for the workout was 7:09/mile. (I remember when my tempo effort used to be 6:45-6:50/mile... ho hum, woe is me).

The last 8-10 minutes were tough, but the last 3-4 minutes were down right HARD. I really concentrated on relaxing and staying smooth. Every time I felt my form slip, I'd fix it right away. I think the hill repeats and the drills I've been doing make me more conscious of my form during harder workouts and I like that.

Anyway, as soon as I finished that portion and slowed to a walk-jog to get my breath back, I asked myself, "Why do I do this?" I really had no answer. But the more I think about it the more I believe I do this simply because I am able to... because I can. I like to race and all, but there's more to it than just preparing for races. I simply like to push my body just because. It feels good to make my body do what does not feel normal and I don't know about you guys and gals but running hard for more than 5-10 minutes does not feel normal to me. It does feel fun, though! Sometimes I also think, "Wow, I can't believe I can do this!"

I was happy during the last 20:00 of the run because it was nice and easy... the temperature was 82 degrees when I finished. No wonder I felt a bit sluggish. I downed a ton of water and just finished my post run Slim Fast shake. Getting ready to eat a good lunch.

5 comments:

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Glad to hear you are doing well. I wonder what you think about the training philosophy posted at http://chuckiev.blogspot.com/2007/08/hadds-approach-to-distance-running-part.html . (there are multiple parts) This approach - developing a strong aerobic foundation first via long easy distance - is not so fashionable these days, but I am wondering if it might work better for me. Another post on that site (Miles make champions) argues that as training has changed to shorter higher intensity work, less and less people (in the US at least) are becoming competitive at races and are not qualifying for Boston at the rates they used to. My husband often runs with me at my slower pace, so he is in effect doing lower easier heart rate work, and he has progressed very well despite not pushing himself very often. Do you have any experience or thoughts on this?

Cynthia

Progman2000 said...

I think we all have those "why do we do this" moments. For me it's usually when my alarm goes off at 4:30am or at the 20 mile mark of the marathon. I think you're right though, it's about doing what is not "normal". For me it's about not only what is not normal for my body, but what is not normal to the rest of our sadly sedentary out of shape society. Today's "normal" is at least 25lbs overweight with a remote control in each hand and a super sized meal in front of you. Give me the tempo run that makes me feel like puking at the end - I love abnormal.

jen said...

Great run GB! The heat takes those tough workouts to another level. Stay hydrated and positive. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you do it and share it with us GB.

Keep pressing toward the finish line!

gaj

L.A. Runner said...

Good question- why DO we do it? There's something rewarding about pushing yourself to the max. It's like passing a test you give yourself. Nothing beats it, that's for sure. Keep on trucking, GB!