Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Monday, January 22, 2007

Long Run w/ Fast Finish and GREAT News

What a nice day today! Mikey was home and almost finished the kid's playset in the backyard. They'll be so excited to see it nearly done. The sun was shining, the breeze was slight. Perfect day for a run. After taking a short nap (still catching up on sleep from Saturday night), I headed out for my 13 miler with a Fast Finish. I love those types of runs, where you can cruise the bulk of the miles, and then go all out at the end. Here's how the run worked out:

First 10.64 miles in 1:34 (8:50 pace)
Last 2.66 miles in 19:48 (7:26 pace)
Total 13.3 in 1:53:48 (avg pace of 8:33)


I felt very winded toward the end, and my calves and hamstrings are feeling a little tight right now. I didn't have sports drink, only water.
I'm glad to have it done and on the books!

The great news is my daughter's teacher called me and starting this Friday, I will be leading her class in a running group. We're starting with just one-half hour per week, and if the kids enjoy it we'll do two sessions per week. This was all my girl's doing. I'm so proud of her for taking the initiative, and I'm so excited! I'm hoping I can also lead a running group for my son's class, although he doesn't seem as excited to run these days. He wants to play baseball (of course)!

I wanted to start a Girls On the Run here in our county, but it was too expensive for our budget. I'm praying I can teach the kids (boys and girls) with the same type of philosophies as Girls On The Run but geared toward every child, not just girls.

Have a good night all and c'ya tomorrow.

TOTAL MILES: 13.3

2 comments:

SoberMommie said...

That really is great news! Good for you and great for the kids! Nice run too. You are fast....I need some of that speed.=)
Happy Day!
~kim

Anonymous said...

that's awesome news. you'll be a great teacher. i bet the kids in your group will embrace running for a lifetime.

and congrats on the great run, too.
:)