Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Friday, July 06, 2007

Calling 911

We had a scare today. The baby was holding his 3 Cheezits and had one in his mouth, unchewed. As he tried to shove another whole one in his mouth, I swiped it away and he immediately went into a fit of crying which, in turn, lodged the Cheezit into his throat. As he made the gagging face over and over, I proceeded to give his back some hard blows as I faced him toward the ground with his head lower than his butt. He continued to gag and turn red so I dialed 911 and kept pounding his back. Nothing. The 911 call taker immediately connected me to the fire/ambulance dispatcher and as she dispatched the ambulance, he finally responded to my pounding and barfed then coughed and cried! I interrupted the dispatcher and told her he finally got it out and was breathing. I told them to cancel the response. Phew! What a frightening thing to see your child choke. His eyes even looked red. :-(

Anyway, I'm glad he's okay, thank God! My older kids were here with us and they were freaking out!!! I felt bad they had to see that, but they are okay too.

On a better note, we swam today to stay cool and the pool felt incredible. Like the ocean water in Hawaii! Here are a couple of pics:

Look at him do that front flip into the water!!! Crazy kid!


Me and the boys.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad Jimmy is OK. Nice flip Jack!
Love you all,
Maxe

kelly said...

How scary for you and your baby!! I am so glad that everything turned out okay. I'm glad your running is doing well. I'm jealous of you and your crossfit!! Crossfit sounds like such a great workout.

pika said...

Been there, done that with Mr. Pi. At 15 his response to me is now: "Ah mom, that was what... 14 years ago? How about laying off the whole don't stuff your mouth thing now, I think I've figured it out...."

Funny how you will always remember this and he won't. *sigh* I think that's why kids tend to bounce back the way they do.

I'm glad he's OK. The pix in your pool make me wish I had one (and the year round weather to use it).

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

whew, that's one way to get ur heart pumping BUT I recommend running or crossfit instead OK, so let ur baby know :-)

Great pics, that looks like my front flip too-- LOL niceeeeee!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that must have been terrifying. We had a similar experience with our youngest in a restaurant. He turned BLUE before we were able to dislodge the food using the heimlich. My husband was coolheaded, I was about to die right along with the kid. Motherhood is the best, and the most terrifying, job.

Ms Eva said...

I'm so happy that everyone is okay. I haven't had that experience yet, hopefully never will. But the way my little guy stuffs food in his mouth and carries it around like a chipmunk, I'm wouldn't be surprised if I do.

SoberMommie said...

That is so scary!!! I tend to panic in those situations but thank goodness we've always come out ok too. Great thinking to call 911 right away! Better to be safe then sorry.

Mir said...

Eeek! I'm so glad he's okay!