What another gorgeous day. It's supposed to rain all week beginning Tuesday, so I will take this weather now and just revel in it. The toddler and I went to church lastnight because I knew I'd be running 14-15 this morning and that I'd be tired the rest of the day. Honestly, what a blessing. I don't know if it's post run feel-good feelies or what, but life is grand!
I had a huge breakfast this morning. Instant oatmeal with a handful of almonds, 2 Lego Waffles with a tablespoon of peanut butter and 2 tablespoons of lite syrup and about 2 cups of coffee. About 2 hours after breakfast I went out for my run. It was so nice that I wore a light weight running T and a pair of shorts. I wore gloves and that kept me warm enough that I never felt a chill in the 65-degrees (it's now 70). I ran 14.5 miles at about an average 8:20 pace. The first 7 miles were 3 minutes slower on average than the last 7, and I ran a half mile cool down.
During the run I drank 2 16 ounce bottles of Gatorade Endurance, and took one GU gel at mile 8. I still felt kind of fatigued. I think it was jumping from the cutback week last week of about 35 miles to over 50 this week (51). My legs were achy through the entire run, but I thought good thoughts and prayed a bit and God helped me through, as always. :)
Had my post run snack (Slimfast Meal Bar has perfect ratio of 4:1 carbs to protein), and stood in the 45-degree water of our pool for 20 minutes. The sun was so warm on my upper body, that I hardly had to drink the steamy hot decaf I made special for the ice bath. Granted I had on a wool beanie, 2 sweaters, a pair of gloves and some socks.
Anyway, there's just something about weather like this in the dead of winter that raises my spirits and just makes me feel glad. I waved hi to everybody today on my run. Even smiled at motorists. I love days like this.
Wherever you are, I hope you find a little sunshine somewhere in your spirit. :) Enjoy!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


3 comments:
Great post GB. Makes me feel good just reading it. Impressive workouts lately.
You smiled at people in cars... man the weather must have been good. I ran 18 Saturday b/c I knew the weather would be bad here in Alabama today. Glad your run went well.
That breakfast sounds delish! I am really craving some waffles now. :)
I'm so glad you had such a great day!
Post a Comment