Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Couple Things to Post

Hey there! First of all, thanks to everyone for the kudos regarding the weight loss. :) Way to go to fellow blogger, Jen, for also losing 10 lbs. recently. She's running Boston again too... Jen, hopefully we can actually meet this time!

For those that are wondering how the weight loss has affected my running, I am feeling so much lighter and faster. My speed workouts have improved dramatically. In fact, I shocked myself over the last couple of weeks with the paces I've hit. Yes, the workouts are still as tough as ever, but I never thought I'd ever run them at the paces I've been hitting. I know the weight loss has something to do with it. I was actually thinking of doing an easy run while carrying 10 extra pounds around my torso, just to see how it feels now. Anyway, the true test will be March 16 when I run a half marathon. Studies have shown that when properly trained, you can lose so many seconds per mile for every pound of weight you lose. I think it's 3 seconds per mile, per pound. Over a half marathon or marathon, that adds up and potentially I could run a nice new PR!

Okay, the workouts:
Yesterday I ran 12.3 miles including 2 x 1 mile cruise intervals (6:29, 6:35), 4 x 800s (3:05, 3:06, 3:08, 3:02), 2 x 1 mile cruise intervals again (6:27, 6:20). I took 2 minutes recovery between all intervals and sets, except between the last 800 and the first of the 2nd set of cruise intervals. I was tired and had to take 2-1/2 minutes.

Today I pushed the baby in the stroller (okay, he's not really a baby anymore) for 7 miles at an easy 9:00 pace. I love easy days! Then I followed it up with the CrossFit Workout of the Day:

"MARY"
Complete as many sets of the following in 20 minutes --
5 hand stand push ups
10 one-legged squats, switch legs (10 each)
15 pull ups (I had to do jumping pull ups today)

I did 7 sets in 19-1/2 minutes and man did it feel good. When I think of it in those terms, that's 35 hand stand push ups, 70 one-legged squats per leg and 105 jumping pull ups.

The one-legged squats actually made my glute/hamstring issues practically disappear. Of course I know I still have them, but the exercises alleviated a lot of the soreness and fatigue. Well, tonight I'll finish the day with sit ups and back extensions. Probably 3 sets of 15 each.

Tomorrow another crazy Triple Play workout (like last Thursday). My hubby and the toddler will ride along side on the bike. :) I love that! Have a great afternoon everybody.

3 comments:

Ms Eva said...

When I read your posts, I feel lazy. :)

Mir said...

GB, I'm glad you're doing so great--those workouts lately really have been awesome. I didn't realize losing a little weight could make that much a difference...kudos to you!

John Fenton said...

Another nice workout, GB. They seem crazy hard to me, but they clearly work for you. :)

And those one-legged squats are great, GB. I give them a lot of the credit for keeping me healthier this time around. At home, I do them on a foam balance board. It helps strengthen all the lower leg muscles as well, where I used to have frequent problems.

John